Assistant Professor of Theatre
- California State University San Marcos
- California, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Sep 14, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Arts, Art, Other Arts, Performing Arts, Communications, Film & Video, Administrative, Academic Affairs, Arts Administration
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Rank: Assistant Professor
Starting Date: Fall 2023
● Applicants must possess an MFA, PhD, or MA with substantial relevant experience in Theatre or a related field with specialization in Playwriting or Dramaturgy, from an accredited university at the time of appointment for this position, have experience teaching playwriting and theatre literature classes, be committed to rigor in teaching and research, and be willing to do serve at the department, college and university level.
● Teaching responsibilities may include undergraduate classes in the areas of playwriting, theatre literature, script analysis, and theatre production.
● Candidates must have demonstrated playwriting practice that leads to creative activities such as original productions and publications.
● Candidates must be able to communicate effectively and work cooperatively with departmental colleagues and in an ethnically and culturally diverse campus community.
● A stated desire to lead departmental efforts, to initiate innovative practice, and to enrich student learning and experience.
● Preference will be given to candidates with relevant experience in the area of playwriting.
● Preference will be given to candidates with expertise in one or more of the following: applied theatre, devised theatre, directing, and solo performance.
● Preference will be given to a candidate with expertise in one of the following: LGBTQ theatre, Indigenous theatre, African American theatre, or Asian American and Pacific Islander theatre.
● Preference will be given to a candidate with experience in community partnerships.
● Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated intercultural competence with diverse groups in teaching, research, and/or service.
● Preference will be given to candidates with experience in developing curriculum in their area[s] of expertise.
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $6,751 - $7,167 per month
CSU Classification Salary Range: $5,405 - $11,994 per month
Click Apply Now to complete the CSUSM Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
● Cover letter specifically addressing minimum and preferred qualifications.
● Curriculum vitae.
● Three professional references.
● One full-length script or two one-act scripts.
● Diversity statement.
Review of applications will begin November 30, 2022 and will remain open until the position is filled.
Final review date is December 30, 2022. Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, those received after December 30th will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The University is particularly interested in applicants who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for under-represented groups.
CSUSM has been designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and was recently named one of the top 32 Colleges most friendly to junior faculty by the Collaborative on Academic Careers in Higher Education. Visit Faculty Opportunities for more information.
California State University San Marcos is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer strongly committed to promoting diversity in all areas of the campus community. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, physical or mental disability, gender or sex, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation and veteran or military status.
Per the California State University’s Out-of-State Employment Policy, the CSU is prohibited from hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside California. Working in the State of California is a condition of employment.
The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised December 22, 2020 as a condition of employment.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy, can be found at CSU Covid Policy . Questions should be sent to the Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org .
This position is subject to employment verification, education verification, reference checks and criminal record checks. An offer of appointment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, including a criminal records check, and may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act or Clery Act Notification can be found at Clery Act Notification .
Advertised: September 14, 2022 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert