at the University of Colorado Boulder
encourages applications for the Challenge Course Senior
position! This role is responsible for
administering a Challenge Course facility and Challenge Experience
team building program in the areas of program development, program
administration, challenge course operations, facility management,
employee supervision and development, and other initiatives within
Outdoor Pursuits and the Department of Recreation Services. The
Challenge Course Senior Coordinator supervises 2 half-time seasonal
managers and 25+ student and non-student hourly employees.
This is a professional exempt full-time position reporting to the
Assistant Director of Outdoor Pursuits, within the Department of
Recreation Services. The purpose of Outdoor Pursuits is to provide
opportunities for physical and social interaction, student
development, student employment, safe-risk taking, skill
development, environmental awareness, and ultimately a healthier
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
is a valued campus resource and partner
dedicated to supporting student success. We offer a variety of high
quality, convenient, innovative and inclusive ways to help you
connect with yourself and your campus community. The Rec is a LEED
Platinum (highest ranking sustainable design) facility with over
300,000 square feet of recreation and fitness activity space. We
are a student fee-funded service and our student-led, CUSG
Recreation Board and team of experts will ensure we meet the
evolving needs of a dynamic recreation, fitness and wellness
service that supports student engagement, academic and personal
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Develop and manage revenue and expenditure budget for the
challenge course and related programs.
- Risk Management
- Supervise risk management including developing and updating
risk management policies and procedures for the challenge course in
accordance with current industry standards.
- Program Accreditation
- Operate in accordance with current ACCT (Association for
Challenge Course Technology) and ANSI (American National Standards
Institute) standards, obtain and maintain ACCT program
- Evaluate challenge course and challenge experience
- Customer Relations
- Oversee customer relations from first inquiry through billing
- Develop and maintain streamlined reservation and billing
- Oversee Promotion and marketing for challenge course programs
in partnership with Student Affairs Communication.
- Program Planning and Delivery
- Oversee and ensure safe operation of the challenge course,
develop program plans, supervise managers and facilitators and
ensure a high quality program delivery.
- Program Development
- Develop and update new program elements including challenges,
activities, low and high elements.
- Design, plan, and implement new programs, such as indoor
courses, accessible activities and elements in line with universal
design, and partnerships and events with Rec and campus
- Supervise and perform daily and periodic inspections of
equipment, ropes course elements, and facility. Develop and
maintain appropriate record-keeping. Oversee annual inspection and
any required maintenance and repairs through an ACCT PVM (preferred
- Oversee inventory, maintenance, and replacement of all
equipment and supplies.
- Coordinate with Recreation Services Facilities staff, CU
Facilities Management, and outside vendors to maintain, service,
and repair facility and grounds including field, fence, structures,
water fountains, portable bathroom facilities, and others.
- Other Spaces
- Coordinate with Recreation Services Events staff for use of
indoor spaces including Williams Village Rec classroom, Rec turf
gym, and other spaces for indoor programs or emergency weather
WFR & Outdoor Pursuits Assistance
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise, and evaluate all challenge
course staff, including facilitator, student coordinator, and
- Develop curriculum and provide instruction for in-house staff
training, maintain credentials as a QCP (qualified course
professional), coordinate outside trainers when appropriate, and
maintain required documentation on all staff trainings and
- Support employee development through training, coaching,
evaluations, and professional development opportunities.
Rec Services Duties
- WFR Certification Courses
- Administer the Outdoor Pursuits WFR certification courses in
partnership with NOLS.
- Partner with NOLS to schedule courses throughout the year,
oversee classroom reservation, lodging arrangements, assigning OP
staff as hosts/course participants, billing/revenue, and
coordinating with NOLS instructors on-site.
- Assist Outdoor Pursuits with any needed tasks in the areas of
special events, climbing gym, gear rental, and trip
- Assist in Recreation Services projects, events, and assigned
duties, including serving on internal and external committees.
Recreation Program & Facilities Quality Control
- Maintain certifications in WFR, CPR, and ACCT Level 2 (or
- Maintain credential as a QCP (qualified course professional) as
- Actively participate in professional organizations, such as
ACCT, through conference attendance, professional
publications/presentations, and committee membership.
- Take advantage of professional development opportunities
offered through Rec Services and campus partners such as HR
trainings, workshops, and conferences.
What You Should Know
- Participate in the development of ideas and suggestions for
program and facility improvement.
- Required to attend Recreation Center classes or programs, and
use various facilities and equipment periodically to ensure that
they are meeting or exceeding the standards of the
What We Can Offer
- This position is on-site full time and requires some evening
and weekend work hours.
- All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to
follow the campus COVID-19 vaccine
- New employees must provide proof of vaccination or receive a
medical or religious exemption within 30 days of employment.
- The salary range is $50,000 - $54,000 annually.
- Onboarding assistance is available within Student Affairs
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be active. Be adventurous. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and
experience will substitute on a year-for-year basis.
- One year of experience including 40 hours of training and 300
hours of program delivery at a challenge course, ropes course, or
team building program including low elements facilitation and high
- CPR/First Aid/AED certification within 3 months of
- Current ACCT Level 2 Practitioner Certification or ability to
What We Would Like You To Have
- Ability to independently manage program, staff, and facility
with minimal direction.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Good communication skills both written and verbal.
- Excellent risk management judgment.
- Experience planning and implementing programs.
- Experience with training, teaching, or instruction.
- ACCT Level 2 Practitioner Certification or higher.
- Experience managing a challenge course.
- Experience providing facilitator training.
- Documented 80 hours training and 500 hours program delivery at
a challenge course, ropes course, or team building program
including low elements facilitation and high elements facilitation
on a dynamic belay course.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background
and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and
responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by October 3, 2022
: Application materials will not be accepted via
email. For consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: