The Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP) develops,
designs, and builds instruments and spacecraft for space-based
observations of the Sun, Earth, and planets.
- LASP has built instruments and participated in missions to
every planet in the solar system.
- LASP manages the financial aspects for over 170 active grants
and contracts, from proposal through award.
LASP is seeking a dynamic financial professional to further LASP’s
science mission by providing coordination and support to individual
programs as well as to aid LASP faculty in managing sponsored
- This professional will have a technology-first approach to
solving problems and optimizing processes.
- Duties include research, selection, and compilation of
financial data from multiple sources, such as production,
accounting, vendors, and duties also include subsequent analysis of
that data to produce business information used to support
- This role Verifies the accuracy of data and ensures appropriate
number tie outs.
- Decisions by this role may impact the effectiveness and
efficiency of administrative and business processes.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
is a world-renowned space science
research institute at the University of Colorado Boulder. CU
receives more NASA funding than any public university in the
country, due in large part to LASP programs. Professional engineers
work closely with scientists and assembly technicians in designing
and building space flight hardware while helping mentor students as
entry-level engineers working on these programs. LASP is
particularly proud of a work environment that supports employee
creativity and productivity and offers opportunities for diverse
experiences and a broad range of responsibilities.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Support principal investigators (PIs) and project managers
(PMs) with proposals, award management, and other analyses as
- Create and analyze monthly, quarterly, and annual reports and
ensures financial information has been recorded accurately.
Responsible for completing journal entries as necessary.
- Evaluate and proposes/develops process and tool updates.
- Support LASP Finance Information Services Team in testing and
updating tools and processes that promote increased
- Review and reconciles discrepancies, performs cost/variance
analyses, monitors burn rates and spending.
- Perform cost projections and labor planning.
- Apply, interpret, or assess existing policies, procedures,
regulations for financial impact on program support.
- Develop budgets and other related proposal documents.
Coordinate with subrecipient organizations when applicable.
- Support subcontract/subaward management and other direct cost
review and approval. Assists with modifying and renewing incoming
and outgoing subcontracts for research awards.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of certain business practices
and products particularly in the areas of finance and sponsored
- Review and approval of expenses of sponsored projects.
- Create ad hoc reports using data from a variety of sources to
answer questions posed by program management/principal
- May conduct special financial and business-related studies and
cooperates with other departments in the preparation of
- Consults or receives guidance with senior analysts or
- Other duties as assigned to facilitate continuity within
research programs at LASP.
What You Should Know
- Load project data from the financial system into the EVM system
(COBRA) or equivalent tracking system/tool.
- Support monthly reporting to sponsors and internal
stakeholders, by updating and providing reports such as 533s and
earned value management-related reports.
What We Can Offer
- Due to U.S. Export Control Restrictions, only U.S. Citizens and
Permanent Residents may apply.
- All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to
comply with the campus COVID-19 vaccine
requirement . New employees must provide proof of vaccination
or receive a medical or religious exemption within 30 days of
The salary range for this position is $65,000-70,000. We offer a
generous retirement plan that includes 200% matching for the first
5% contributed with immediate vesting.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be ambitious. Be groundbreaking. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- Bachelor’s degree in business or equivalent, with 3 to 5+ years
of relevant experience or a master’s in business administration or
equivalent, with 1 to 3+ years of experience.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Understands accounting principles.
- Demonstrated ability to research, investigate, analyze,
reconcile, and evaluate data.
- Able to generate financial statement reports for internal and
- Functions within well-defined guidelines and procedures to
resolve routine issues, and to make independent and logical
decisions and/or recommendations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task
while under pressure.
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in accounting or finance.
- Understanding of Business Analytics and Business
- Understanding of Microsoft Power BI.
- Understanding of Visual Basic (VBA) specifically for
- Understanding of SQL.
- Understanding of Deltek/Cobra or other project management
- Understanding of Earned value management.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Resume or CV.
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee briefly
describing your qualifications, professional goals, and specific
interest in this position.
If you are selected as the finalist, your degree will be verified
by the CU Boulder Campus Human Resources department using an
approved online vendor. If your degree was obtained outside of the
United States, please submit a translated version as an optional
This position will remain open until filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: