Adjunct Faculty, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator)
- Austin Community College
- Texas, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Sep 15, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Arts, Art, Design & Graphic Arts, Other Arts, Communications, Digital Media, Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Computer Services & Information Technology
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Part Time
Job Posting Closing Times: Job postings are removed from advertising at 12:00 A.M. on the closing date e.g., at midnight on the day before the closing date.
Austin Community College is a public two-year institution that serves a diverse population of approximately 41,000 credit students each Fall and Spring semester. We embrace our identity as a community college as reflected in our mission statement. We promote student success and community development by providing affordable access, through traditional and distance learning modes, to higher education and workforce training, including appropriate applied baccalaureate degrees, in our service area.
As a community college committed to our mission, we seek to recruit and retain a workforce that:
- Reflects the diversity of our community
- Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching
- Is attracted by the college mission to promote equitable access to educational opportunities
- Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to facilitate success for under-represented populations
- Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with others
- Engages with the community both within and outside of ACC
ACC is committed to the ongoing systemic changes needed to ensure the increased recruitment, inclusion, retention, and completion of historically underserved and under represented populations. Through continual strategic community engagement and professional development of administrators, faculty, staff, and students, the college demonstrates its dedication to fostering a culture and climate for equitable outcomes.
As an open access and low-cost institution, ACC is proud to serve a diverse student body. Dedicated faculty members are excellent professors who help students achieve their educational goals and are sensitive to the diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds of our students. In 2017 our faculty adopted a Statement of ACC Faculty Values. This Statement affirms that ACC's faculty members value collaboration, service, agency, scholarship, inclusion, and teaching, all of which attest to our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at the heart of our mission.
Job Posting Title:
Adjunct Faculty, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator)
Job Description Summary:
Responsible for preparation and delivery of Visual Communication coursework in engaging, innovative, and discipline-appropriate ways that reflect a commitment to success equity, respect for diversity, an understanding of culturally responsive teaching, and knowledge of the teaching field. Meets professional standards for faculty in accordance with college policies and procedures.
Principal Responsibilities and Duties
- Prepare and teach Graphic Media Production courses in the field of Visual Communication to a diverse student population based on the department's approved course learning outcomes. Courses may include:
- Digital Imaging I or II(Photoshop)
- Vector Graphics I or II (Illustrator)
- Digital Publishing I, II, or III (InDesign)
- Evaluate student progress and provide clear, timely feedback
reflecting program learning outcomes and departmental
- Provide teaching and mentoring services to students in a manner
that does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability,
age, protected veteran status, political affiliation, or other
- Remain current in the field through a variety of professional
- Perform other related tasks as assigned by the department chair, dean, and/or associate vice president, vice president, executive vice president.
- Demonstrated proficiency using computer applications in the Mac
OS environment, online resources, and other technologies for the
- Demonstrated proficiency and expertise through the use of
advanced features in one or more of the following Adobe CC
software: InDesign, Illustrator, or Photoshop.
- Preferred: Demonstrated proficiency using an online learning management system such as Blackboard to develop and build course content and perform administrative duties (posting office hours, syllabi, etc.)
- Meet deadlines for attendance certification and submission of
final course grades.
- Maintain regular office hours to assist students and improve
student retention and success.
- Recognize and reflect standards of civility and collegiality in
- Comply with published college policies and procedures and meet
professional standards for teaching in a community
- Appropriate use of the college's learning management system.
- Bachelor’s or Associate degree in Art, Graphic Design, Commercial Art, Computer Graphics, Graphic Design, Printing/Production or Visual Communication,
- Documentable 3 years non-teaching industry-relevant work experience.
- Documented evidence of training in digital media.
- Please submit with your cover letter a pdf portfolio or link to
a website of recent professional work including examples of visual
assets for print and digital applications. Your portfolio should
also highlight your role in the
- If you have teaching experience, please include examples of
student work and evidence of curriculum development.
The successful candidate will be able to:
- Explain both the role and best practices of industry-standard software in the production process of both printed and digital (multi-channel) design.
- Explain the role of a production artist in the production of multi-channel design.
- Describe the production workflow of printed or digital assets within a.) a design studio environment and b.) with industry-related vendors (such as offset printers, large format printers, screen printers, web developers, etc.).
- Describe best practices of working a.) as part of a multi-disciplinary team and b.) with industry-related vendors (such as offset printers, large format printers, screen printers, web developers, etc.).
- Describe effective use of graphic design principles and processes to produce designs.
- Identify current visual trends and movements in graphic and interactive design.
An application must be submitted by the closing date for this position.
Criminal Background Check
Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all staff and faculty positions.
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time faculty and staffing table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the college are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty and Administrators Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by federal law.
- Work is routinely performed in an office/classroom environment.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling, pushing, and pulling.
- Ability to lift up to 10 pounds.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
Job Posting Close Date:
August 31, 2023 Clery Act
As required by the US Department of Education, employees are required to report violations under Title IX and, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), select individuals are required to report crimes. If this position is identified as a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified, trained, and provided resources for reporting.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC at its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the job.
If you are a current Austin Community College employee, please click this link to apply through your Workday account .
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert