Performs complex analytical duties and leadership for the District
related to procurement contracts, shipping, receiving, warehouse,
disposal of surplus property, mailroom, inventory of fixed assets,
records retention program and minority vendor program. Responsible
for the preparation of specifications for both informal and formal
bidding including all construction projects and various supplies
and services for the District. Assure compliance with legal codes,
laws, and District policies.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Receives general direction from the Director of Procurement,
Contracts and AuxiliaryServices. Incumbent works within a broad
framework of compliance standard proceduresand objectives.
Incumbent frequently interacts independently with administration,
staff, regulatory agencies, and the public. Incumbents in this
classification assign, coordinate, supervise, and evaluate the work
of their direct reports.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Assist with the development and preparation of the annual
budget for the procurement and contract services department;
analyze and review budget and projections, financial data; controls
and authorizes expenditures in accordance with established
- Responsible for the day to day operational functions of the
procurement and contract services department. Interviews,
supervises, trains, and evaluates performance of staff.
- Leads review of agreements, contracts, memorandums of
understanding and other related documents to determine risk and
liability exposure, ensuring compliance with all applicable federal
and states rules and regulations, California general statutes,
uniform guidance, and California Community College Chancellors
- Recommends standard contract clauses for use in agreements,
contracts, and memorandums of understanding, solicitations and
purchase orders to minimize risk and liability exposure to the
- Contribute and present solutions for development and
implementation of process improvement, cost efficiencies, policies
and procedures within procurement and contract services. Including
initiatives for improvements of training of District staff.
- Provides District staff with professional and technical
expertise and advice on compliantly procuring goods and services
including, request for proposals, bid strategy development,
supplier negotiations, and contract development.
- Collaborates in the preparation of specifications, formal and
informal bids, proposals and quotations, to include review and
analysis of bids received.
- May coordinate and conduct the formal bid process for
construction projects as needed.
- Oversees the preparation of advertisement to selected vendors,
and the awarding of Requests for Proposal for services, materials
and equipment. Reviews and assembles scope of work as needed.
- Oversees and develops procurement and contract services
training, the electronic procurement system and procurement card
- Assists, as needed, with the selection process of design
professional services and construction firms.
- Co-develops the yearly fiscal year timeline for purchases that
must be processed, received and paid by the end of each fiscal
- Meets with the supplier community regularly to identify new
sources for services and supplies to support District
- Leads staff to obtain quotes, reviews and processes purchase
orders, to ensure compliance.
- Assists in the preparation of procurement and contract services
reports required to be submitted to the Board of Trustees for
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining a procedure
regarding storage of new and surplus equipment, supplies, records
and reports related to the procurement and contract services
- Attends and conducts a variety of meetings as needed;
participates in assigned committees; attends workshops, conferences
and training sessions as assigned.
- Performs other related functions as assigned.
- Considerable knowledge of modern principles and practices of
procurement, contracts, warehousing, property control, shipping,
receiving and records retention.
- Effective management and supervisory principles and
- Computerized procurement, contracts, shipping, receiving and
fixed asset systems. Enterprise Resource Planning software systems,
computer and software applications
- Sources of commodity markets
- Education Code, Public Contract, Government Code, Labor Code
and other applicable laws.
- Material handling
- Bid processing for procurement and construction
- Basic accounting
- Principles and practices of budget preparation and
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Plan and schedule procurement activities for greatest
efficiency and service
- Perform complex procurement and contracts functions
- Supervise and direct the work of assigned staff to achieve the
goals of the procurement and contracts function
- Maintain accurate procurement and contract services department
- Interpret and explain procurement and contract services
departmental policies and procedures
- Utilize Enterprise Resource Planning software
- Select appropriate service providers to meet District
- Interpret market prices and trends
- Prepare and maintain accurate and complete records and
- Plan and supervise the work of others
- Meet schedules and timelines
- Maintain confidentiality
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse
academic, socioeconomic, cultural, linguistic, ethnic backgrounds
and disabilities of community college students and staff.
- Support the District in achieving its mission, vision, and
strategic goals as appropriate in carrying out the duties of this
- Focus on student success, service excellence, and willingness
to assist colleagues District-wide, as needed
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with
course work in a business administration or related field.
Four (4) years of experience in procurement, contracts or closely
related field including three (3) years of management or leadership