Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of
Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position.
A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional
communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship,
respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is
designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in
creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding
of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact
on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence
in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace &
Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-North Harris
Lone Star College offers high-quality, low-cost academic transfer
and career training education to 93,000+ students each semester.
LSC has been named a 2021 Great Colleges to Work For® institution
by the Chronicle of Higher Education and ranked 35th in Texas in
the Forbes ‘America’s Best Employers By State’ list.
LSC consists of eight colleges, seven centers, eight Workforce
Centers of Excellence and Lone Star Corporate College.
Lone Star College-North Harris, nestled on 200 acres of piney
woods, is the original and largest college in the Lone Star College
System family. Serving the community for more than three decades,
LSC-North Harris offers more than 60 programs of study, including
university-transfer and numerous education courses and programs.
LSC-North Harris is keenly focused on leading-edge technology in
emerging technical job fields.
Location address is 2700 W.W. Thorne Drive, Houston, TX
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Primary purpose is to provide supplemental support that focuses on
learning strategies, life management skills, and enhancing student
success. May tutor students and community members who need learning
assistance in assigned discipline(s) and study skills.
Responsibilities may include providing tutoring and related
services and providing an atmosphere that is conducive to and
encourages learning. Responsible for the general areas of student
academic support, institutional service, and professional
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Identifies individual skill gaps and provides weekly action
plans to ensure academic success. Takes initiative in building
authentic relationships and motivating students
- Monitors the academic progress of students and collaborates
with students to develop a personalized action plan tailored to
meet their academic and professional goals
- Guides students to develop accountability for their decisions
and an understanding of how those decisions impact their
- Helps students identify and eliminate any barriers to academic
- Models effective study strategies and self-advocacy. Works with
students to develop effective study habits, learning strategies,
organizational and time management skills by providing workshops
- Coordinates the tutor and tutee meetings
- May deliver tutoring services to students at scheduled times
(may be individual or group sessions);
- Posts and maintains a weekly schedule of available hours for
- Keeps regular and accurate records of tutoring sessions
- Monitors and reviews student work. Modifies and personalizes
tutoring strategies to accommodate the different learning styles
- Interacts with LSC staff and/or faculty to obtain any necessary
course syllabi or materials, and to develop tutoring materials in
support of the course. Delivers feedback as appropriate to staff
and/or faculty regarding student progress
- Continues professional education through research and review of
relevant material relating to the assigned subject matter
- Responsible for other reasonable related duties as
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and
- Commitment to quality service to students
- Commitment to multi-cultural and multi-generational
- Ability and commitment to work collaboratively
- Ability to work independently with little direct or continuous
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to
do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending;
carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or
driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to
perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Schedule will depend on department needs
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a
Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to
carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal
exposure to safety hazards
- High School Diploma or GED and at least 3 years of work
- Transcripts and/or a proficiency test may be required
- Previous tutoring experience
- Previous academic coaching or mentoring experience
Hourly Pay Rate is dependent on education and certification level.
Pay range is $9.53-$25.33
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part
of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work
environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver,
participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of
the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on
‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title
once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached
your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty,
Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the
following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching
Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email,
mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the
academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on
your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication
regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by
phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which
Lone Star College provides the federal government with information
from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is
authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are
subject to a criminal background check.