Wesleyan College, a four-year national liberal arts college for women located in Macon, Georgia about 70 miles south of Atlanta, is the first college in the world chartered to grant degrees to women. Wesleyan’s academically challenging, inclusive environment helps prepare students to live purposeful and connected lives. A strength of this small liberal arts college is our diverse student population and our commitment to liberal arts and justice throughout our curriculum. Faculty are known for their commitment to teaching, diversity, and community.
Wesleyan College is searching for a Dean of Students who will have the overall responsibility for providing leadership, management and supervision for all student affairs programs, student services personnel and for working to respond to student needs. The Dean of Students is responsible for fostering a culture of learning and campus engagement which promotes students’ academic and personal success. This positions reports directly the Provost and Vice President for Academic & Student Affairs and serves on the Executive Leadership Team. This position directly supervises and has oversight for the following areas: Residence Life, Health and Wellness, Student Activities and Faith & Service. In addition, the Dean works collaboratively with the Director of Safety and Security and the Director of Dining to ensure these services are student focused.
- Provide administrative leadership including recruitment, hiring, training, supervision and evaluation for all professional staff in the Division of Student Affairs to include student housing, disability and advocacy services, health and counseling services, student conduct, wellness center and health promotion, and student involvement.
- Serve on the Executive Leadership Team working collaboratively with senior leadership to guide institutional policies, procedures and initiatives that meet and support the mission of the college
- Supervise departmental budgets within the Division by reviewing, allocating, and authorizing expenditures
- Integrate student and academic life, enhancing efforts to build a diverse, inclusive and equitable community
- Member of the Compliance Committee that oversees College policies and procedures regarding federal, state and local laws and regulations
- Cultivate and maintain collaborative relationships with all constituents of the College, both within the Division of Student Affairs and across campus
- Participate in and supervise development, assessment and revision of short- and long-term goals for the functions supervised to ensure they meet and enhance the mission of the institution
- Research issues and trends in higher education and implement high impact practices that improve the student experience
- Oversee and implement crisis/emergency response and provide support to students in emergency situations
- Ensure inclusion of student voices in policies, procedures, and priorities through regular engagement with the Student Government Association, student club and organization leaders and other students
- Supports college activities and special events through attendance and/or participation
- Communicates an accurate image of the College to the public.
- Maintains confidentiality of information exposed to in the course of business regarding students, supervisors or other employees
- Serve on various college committees as assigned
Required Qualifications - Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in appropriate field. Five years successful higher education experience in student affairs and campus operations.
- Knowledge of current practices in student affairs and higher education.
- Minimum of three years of leadership experience in higher education.
- Knowledge and understanding of student development and student engagement.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills on both an individual and group basis.
- Effective problem resolution skills.
Wesleyan College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College supports equal employment opportunities for all persons without regard to race, color, creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, gender, national origin, status as a war veteran, age, disability, or any other status protected by law. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States, individuals will be required to provide proof of identity and eligibility for employment in the United States upon acceptance of an employment offer.
Wesleyan College is a certified drug-free workplace employer. All applicants being considered for employment are required to submit to substance screening and must pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
To apply for this position, submit a letter of interest, resume, and three references to Julie Daniel, Director of Human Resources, at email@example.com . Due to the volume of applicants, we are unable to respond to each applicant individually. Posting may close as soon as an applicant pool is identified.