The Department of Exercise Science at High Point University invites applications for a full-time 12-month, Department Chair/faculty position at the Assistant/Associate Professor rank. The Department of Exercise Science is part of the Congdon School of Health Sciences http://www.highpoint.edu/healthsciences/, which is also the academic home to the Departments of Physical Therapy, Physician Assistant Studies, Athletic Training, Nursing, and Medical Sciences, and as such, is affiliated with the Human Biomechanics and Physiology Laboratory http://www.highpoint.edu/healthsciences/the-human-biomechanics-physiology-lab/. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The anticipated start date for this position is as early as January 2, 2023.
The Department of Exercise Science is teaching-oriented with faculty from diverse scientific disciplines who share a common interest in the human form, physical activity, and the human movement paradigm. The Department Chair directly reports to the Dean and is the administrative head of the Department and is responsible for effective operation of all aspects of that Department.
In addition to leading the department, teaching expectations will align with the needs within the exercise science curriculum and expertise of the candidate. The successful candidate will maintain a record of scholarship including mentoring undergraduate student research (as appropriate), undergraduate student advisement, assistance in developing and advancing the curriculum, commitment to program assessment, and collaboration with related academic programs.
- Ph.D. in Exercise Science, Physiology, Biomechanics, or related field.
Experience and Training:
- Academic teaching experience on the undergraduate level.
- Developed research agenda
- Published peer-reviewed manuscripts
Knowledge, Skills, Ability:
- Record of excellence in teaching and research, and a commitment to excellence in exercise science education and research.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others
- Contribute to the educational and research missions of the department, school, and university
- Record of excellence in departmental leadership positions
- Develops for the Dean long and short-term objectives for the Department.
- Develops, with the assistance of the Department, specific Department plans, procedures, and programs to achieve approved objectives and in keeping with the mission, goals, and objectives of the University.
- Acts as official channel of communication on departmental matters between Department, the Dean and Provost.
- Counsels with members of the Department with respect to implementation of University policy and actions.
- Maintains all necessary records and controls to maximize operating efficiency of the Department and makes these available to authorized University officers.
- Makes recommendations to the Dean and the Provost regarding teaching assignments, promotions, dismissals, reprimands, and other personnel matters.
- Prepares and submits annually, to the Provost, the operating budget and capital equipment needs of the Department.
- Encourages research and educational investigations of Department faculty members.
- Assists the President and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs in evaluating annually the performance of each Department faculty member.
- Assists the Provost to design programs to increase the retention of students within the Department.
- Generates data to evaluate the effectiveness of the Department’s academic programs.
- Implements University policy as enunciated by the President and the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Participation in didactic and laboratory teaching activities relating to exercise physiology and human physiology in the department’s curricula as determined by the Dean.
- Collaborate with departmental colleagues for curriculum design and delivery.
- Provide mentorship and advisement for students in the Department of Exercise Science.
- Communicate teaching and research activities through frequent and effective communication with the Department Chair.
- Publish scientific findings in high-quality peer-reviewed journals and present research at regional and national meetings.
- Integrate and enhance interactions between the departments within the school of health sciences in areas of research, education, and service.
- Advance the service missions of the Departments of Exercise Science, Congdon School of Health Sciences, and High Point University to meet community needs.
- Act as a representative and advocate for the department, school, and the university.
- Actively participate in committees within the department, school, and university in professional and governmental organizations.
- Undertake other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Dean.
At High Point University the faculty and staff are devoted to ensuring every student receives an extraordinary education in an inspiring environment with caring people. High Point University is a God, family and country school.
High Point University does not sponsor H1-B Visas. High Point University prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status and other legally protected statuses. The University considers a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion as a core component of our mission and encourages all applicants to apply.
For more information regarding this position, please contact Dr. Kevin Ford, Dean, School of Health Sciences at firstname.lastname@example.org.