Assistant Professor - Physical Education
- SUNY Cortland
- New York, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Sep 13, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Education, Curriculum & Instruction, Education Administration & Leadership, Other Education, Special Education, Teacher Education
- Employment Type
- Full Time
ASSISTANT/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR 10 MONTHS
Assistant Professor - Physical Education
Academic Affairs, Division of
If Part-Time, enter FTE:
Is this a temporary position?
If Temporary, enter End Date:
SUNY Cortland is an engaged learning community that is committed to promoting a diversity of thought and experience. We believe that an equitable, inclusive and diverse campus and curriculum are critical to our educational mission. Tenure-track faculty contribute to the university’s values of inclusive excellence through outstanding teaching, research and/or scholarship, service to the department and college, and by providing academic advisement and mentoring to/for all students. Faculty are expected to maintain a routine presence on campus to support our Campus Values of Focusing on the Students, Integrity, and Intellectual Life and serve our Campus Priorities of Academic Excellence, Transformational Education, Well-being, and the Maximization of Resources.
The Physical Education Department has programs leading to B.S.Ed, M.S.Ed and M.S.T degrees. Currently there are over 900 students enrolled in the departments undergraduate program and approximately 65 students enrolled in our graduate programs. We are a teacher education program with both undergraduate and graduate coursework leading to NYS initial and professional teacher certification.
- Teach undergraduate and graduate physical education coursework. Teaching assignment will depend on department needs, expertise, and experience.
- The current teaching expectation is to teach a 3 course load (9 credit hours) each semester.
- Advise undergraduate students in the Physical Education Major.
- Engage in and contribute to scholarly work and activities as appropriate to the application and receipt of tenure and promotion at SUNY Cortland.
- Provide service to the Physical Education Department, the School of Professional Studies, the SUNY Cortland campus community and/or the State University of New York and the physical education profession.
- Ability to provide leadership in teaching, scholarship, and service toward building an equitable and diverse scholarly environment.
- Passion for physical activity with a clear and well developed understanding of the complexities of the field of physical education.
- Commitment to inclusive excellence, diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice.
- Desire to contribute to a culture of inclusivity and diversity through through teaching, scholarship, and service.
- Desire to work with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Commitment to improving access to higher education for all students regardless of background.
- Commitment to educating students to become global citizens.
- Reports to the academic department chair
- Works closely with department faculty
- Additional working relationships with faculty and staff in other departments
- Doctorate degree (or ABD with expected complete date within one year of appointment).
- Master’s degree in Physical Education or related field.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or teaching certification in Physical Education.
- College teaching experience
- K-12 public school teaching experience
- Expertise in physical education pedagogy
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Expertise in an additional area such as: elementary/secondary physical education, school based fitness programming, curriculum design, assessment and statistics in physical education, motor development, etc.
The State University of New York College at Cortland is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity/Americans with Disabilities Act (AA/ EEO / ADA ) employer. The University actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the University.
Job Close Date
Posting Detail Information
Review Start Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a master's degree in physical education or a
closely related discipline?
- Yes, I have a master's degree in physical education.
- Yes, I have a master's degree in a discipline closely related to physical education.
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree in physical education or a
bachelor's degree in another discipline with a teaching
certification in physical education?
- Yes, I have a bachelor's degree in physical education.
- Yes, I have a bachelor's degree in another discipline and I have a teaching certification in physical education.
- * What is the highest earned degree that you possess? Please
include the degree program.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Professional References Contact Info. ONLY (minimum of 3)
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert