The Associate Director for Campus Recreation Operations reports to
the Director of Campus Recreation, and is a member of the senior
leadership team for the department. The Associate Director of
Campus Recreation Operations provides strategic leadership and
management for the business and facility operations within Campus
Recreation, which includes oversite of six facilities, member
services, facility reservations and rentals, special events,
aquatic programming, and risk management.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and
maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which
students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social
activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life
reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that
practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate
expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students
to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently
diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic
and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender
identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural
traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives
to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just
because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our
University stronger. The University community recognizes the
importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these
ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and
inclusion. We encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to
apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow
and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.
Typical duties include but are not limited to:
- Oversees the planning and administration of facility and
business operations for Campus Recreation.
- Provides direction, leadership, and ongoing development and
training to staff.
- Establishes performance goals and metrics to evaluate success
of assigned areas of responsibility.
- Develops and implements risk management, safety, and continuity
of operation plans. Ensures all safety practices are followed.
- Development and implementation of policies, procedures to
ensure effective operations.
- Develops and manages program area operating budgets to ensure
program alignment with fiscal allocation.
- Facilitate all annual, continuing, and one-time vendor
agreements and contracts with Procurement Services.
- Serves as department expert and contact for all departmental
technology systems, including Fusion, Shift4, Connect2, When2Work,
Earth Networks, Fitness Asset Manager, Key Watcher, Hy-Tek Meet
Manager, and Social Tables.
- Develops and implements assessment tools. Conducts surveys,
analyzes data, and prepares reports. Monitors and evaluates program
- Maintains, schedules, and manages all department capital
improvements, major maintenance and facility project plans, and
- Ensures aquatic facilities are operating and in compliance to
the Florida Department of Health regulations, USA Swimming rules
and regulations, and NCAA Swimming & Diving standards.
- Serves as convener of the Lee County/FGCU Aquatics Center
- Reviews and evaluates the implementation of aquatic
- Maintains oversight of all facility scheduling, event
coordination, facility use agreements, certificates of liability
insurance, and event billing, in compliance with University
regulation and policy.
- Provides direction for a fee-based membership program.
- Provides direction for department special events and
collaborative events with other university departments.
- Serves as a liaison with internal and external
- Assists with short- and long-term strategic planning and
management of Campus Recreation programs.
- Serves as member of the department’s leadership team.
- Serves as essential personnel and provides assistance in the
event of an emergency on campus.
Additional Job Description
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
- Assists with special projects as assigned.
- Serves on assigned campus recreation and university work teams
and committees as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and six years
of full-time experience with two years of supervising full-time
professionals in university recreation, facility management,
business operations, and/or aquatic facility and program management
or Master’s degree from an accredited institution in and four years
of full-time experience with one year of supervising full-time
professionals in university recreation, facility management,
business operations, and/or aquatic facility and program
- Current CPR, First Aid, and AED certifications or able to
obtain within three months of employment.
- Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience,
and/or certifications may be considered.
- Experience operating a personal computer and proficient in
Microsoft office (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Valid driver’s license.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution in Recreation
Management, Sports Administration, Higher Education, or closely
- Eight years of full-time professional experience in higher
education campus recreation setting with an emphasis on facility
- Demonstrated experience in policy and procedure development,
risk management, capital improvement projects, managing large
budgets, and exceptional literacy in campus recreation software
Pay Grade: 17
- Knowledge of collegiate recreation, facility management,
business operations, and aquatic programming.
- Knowledge of student intellectual, emotional and social
development theory, techniques and research.
- Knowledge of safety guidelines for recreation programming and
risk management planning.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in
strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, and
coordination of people and resources.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize
and complete simultaneous projects.
- Ability to establish collaborative and strategic relationships
with a diverse group of colleagues, students, and partners.
- Ability to exercise a high degree of independent judgment in
the establishment, interpretation, application, and enforcement of
all rules, regulations, and policies.
- Ability to effectively manage the work of others by providing
information, guidance, and motivation.
- Ability to think critically and creatively, have a high
standard of integrity, and be motivated to incorporate best
practices into the organizational structure.
- Ability to thrive in an organization that values the diversity
of its student body and workforce and actively promotes equity and
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.