Human Resources Generalist
# of Openings:
Princeton University’s Office of Human
Resources strives to foster a work environment that enables all
employees to embrace the spirit of Princeton and contribute at the
highest possible level to support the mission of the University. We
provide comprehensive benefits, programs, services, and policies
that help employees meet their needs in career, health, and overall
well-being in an equitable and inclusive environment.
The HR Generalist is responsible for
fostering and maintaining client relationships, coaching for
performance improvement, advising and negotiating in conflict
situations, and assisting the Senior HR Manager in organizational
effectiveness efforts. This role will deliver HR solutions in a
number of key areas, such as employee relations, performance
management, and training and development. As a member of a
cross-functional team, reporting to the AVP of Client Services,
this role will partner with other members of the HR team, and work
collaboratively with all levels of management to implement HR
policies, practices and procedures, and administer HR transactions
The HR Generalist is
responsible for fostering and maintaining client relationships,
coaching for performance improvement, advising and negotiating in
conflict situations, and assisting the Senior HR Manager in
organizational effectiveness efforts. This role will deliver HR
solutions in a number of key areas, such as employee relations,
performance management, and training and development. As a member
of a cross-functional team, reporting to the AVP of Client
Services, this role will partner with other members of the HR team,
and work collaboratively with all levels of management to implement
HR policies, practices and procedures, and administer HR
transactions as appropriate.
• Provide advice,
guidance and decisions on HR matters to managers and staff.
Identify and analyze employee relations situations and recommend
appropriate employment action to maintain a productive work
• Conduct timely and thorough investigations with general
supervision, recommend solutions to issues, and counsel employees.
Advise managers on progressive discipline process, highlighting the
legal requirements and ramifications.
• Facilitate dispute resolution within client groups as necessary
to ensure the consistent, uniform and fair application of
University policies and procedures.
• Manage disciplinary actions within client groups to ensure the
consistent, uniform and fair application of University policies and
procedures; adjudicate complex ER issues.
• Manage risk by ensuring employment actions are in compliance with
local, state and federal employment requirements.
• Stays current on recent federal, state and case law changes and
monitors labor law updates and newsletters for changes that may
• Partner with University Learning and Development team to create
and deliver solutions to managers and their departments.
• Align training solutions to organizational problems and
• Conduct training for clients on general human resource
• Under the direction of the Director, performs organizational
assessments and provides advice and guidance to Generalists on
restructuring, impact analysis and implementing change.
• Coordinate workforce and talent management efforts with clients
relative to establishing solid promotion rationales, collaborating
with Compensation on offers, salary actions, audits and the annual
merit increase process.
• Collaborating with internal HR partners, assist clients with
compensation and staffing needs; create solutions to handle
• Supports the development and strategic implementation of
policies, procedures and tools to support performance management,
communication and relationship building while fostering positive
relationships between employees and managers.
• Administer a wide range of transaction processes/procedures to
ensure proper processing of various HR transactions.
• Participate in campus-wide strategic projects, committees and
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
• 3+ years experience within the HR field
• Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to present effectively to small and large groups and
• Working knowledge of all HR functions, laws and practices,
particularly employee relations
• Familiarity with organizational development and effectiveness and
talent management is preferred as is the ability to understand and
apply collective bargaining agreements for unionized staff
• Demonstrated ability to use technology (i.e. MS Office, HRIS
systems) to gather, interpret, organize, and present data.
• Must possess sound judgment and critical thinking skills; ability
to manage multiple priorities and administer broad range of tasks
including resolving complaints, coaching and counseling managers
and employees on policies and procedures.
• Experience working within a matrix organization with the ability
to adapt quickly in a varied work environment, be sensitive to
diverse cultural differences, build relationships, and work
successfully at all levels of a complex organization
• Able to collaborate, guide and influence.
• Strong organizational skills; detail oriented; evidence of
• Demonstrated ability to plan, schedule and work both
independently and in teams within a service oriented
• Demonstrated success managing multiple projects and competing
priorities while balancing the need for quality with meeting
• Experience with MS Office and HR systems
• HR certification (PHR, SPHR / CP, SCP, DDI)
• Union and non-union experience
• Experience in higher education
• Experience with PeopleSoft HCM
Princeton University is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, national origin, disability status,
protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by
law. EEO IS THE LAW