Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list
of the range of duties performed by employees in the class.
Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties
performed within the job.
To perform professional analytical duties related to employee
benefits, leaves of absence, and workers’ compensation; to
coordinate, plan, analyze, develop, implement and conduct state and
institutional mandated functions associated with the administration
of benefits, leave of absences, and workers’ compensation functions
and to perform other related duties.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives limited supervision from the Director of Human Resources
and Risk Management. The incumbent works on routine or regular work
assignments and seeks assistance or direction on non-routine
assignments or various procedural requirements or processes.
An incumbent in this class does not directly lead or supervise
other full-time employees. May oversee student workers.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to,
- Administers various employee benefit programs for the District,
including health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance and
medical flexible spending accounts.
- Coordinates interactive process meetings and accommodation
plans for employees as required by the Americans with Disabilities
Act and Federal Employment and Housing Act regulations. Initiates
interactive process meetings; facilitates meetings; documents
process; and maintains files.
- Coordinates with the Human Resources Analyst to develop
Essential Functions Job Analysis for the District’s interactive
process and/or Long Term Disability claims.
- Assists employees in the preparation of enrollment applications
and the completion of other benefits-related materials; reviews
enrollment materials for accuracy, completeness and compliance with
established laws, policies, and procedures.
- Serves as liaison between the District, plan vendors, third
party administrators and employees. Works with third party
administrators to determine the best plan options. Transfers data
to external contacts for services, premiums and plan
administration. Investigates discrepancies and provides information
in non-routine situations.
- Administers and records leaves of absences including general
leaves of absence in accordance with state and federal laws and/or
- Assists with the District’s Workers’ Compensation program
activities; advises managers and employees regarding guidelines and
procedures; tracks lost time and temporary disability; monitors
modified duty accommodations. May represent the District in
deposition and/or mandatory settlement conferences with the Vice
President of Human Resources. Assists in group presentations
regarding the District’s Workers’ Compensation program. Serves as
contact person for technical Worker’s Compensation issues.
- Coordinates and conducts new employee benefit orientations and
- Reviews and audits monthly premiums statements for all group
insurance policies and maintains statistical data relative to
premiums, claims, and costs. Reconciles and prepares benefits
statements. Oversees automated billing process for classified and
adjunct employees who purchase health benefits.
- Works with management and bargaining units annually to
determine benefit plans and offerings. Participates in the
development of bid material for procuring District benefit
- Serves as facilitator to employees relative to the retirement
process through State retirement systems and transitions to
District retirement programs.
- Enters mid-year benefit calculations, payroll adjustments and
deduction maintenance in coordination with the Payroll and Workers’
- Ensures compliance with applicable government regulations.
Assures timeliness and accuracy of required filings. Assists in the
development of long-range objectives regarding benefit
- Establishes and maintains complex file and record systems,
including confidential and sensitive materials. Enters, maintains,
and tracks complex benefits data in manual and/or automated
- Provides customer service support to internal and external
customers. Responds to inquires and correspondence; prepares
information and data requested for administrative review; prepares
reports and other documental as required. Develops and prepares
visual presentations, flyers, and graphic materials.
- Adheres to and monitors regulations, requirements, and
obligations according to bargaining unit contracts and education
code. Reviews and makes recommendations concerning health and
- Assists in the development of bargaining unit contract language
in areas related to health and welfare benefits and leaves of
absence. May be assigned to District’s negotiation team for all
labor represented groups.
- Coordinates and prepares materials regarding active employee
and retiree benefit information for the Health Insurance Review
Committee and other District workshops or group presentations
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Ability to :
- Principles and practices of human resource benefits management,
Federal and State leave laws and management, and Workers
Compensation laws and management.
- Standard English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation, and
ability to compose professional communications, and methods and
techniques of research and basic report preparation.
- Methods and techniques of business letter composition.
- Basic accounting principles.
- Insurance agreements, claim processing, and adjustment
- Worker’s Compensation regulations and practices.
- Interactive process for FEHA and ADA accommodation
- Effective planning and priority setting.
- Standard office procedures and equipment; computer proficiency
and technical aptitude utilizing MS Word, Excel, Power Point,
- Benefit contract language.
- Pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance
requirements affecting employee benefit programs, including ERISA,
COBRA, FMLA, ADA, CFRA, FEHA, Medicare, HIPPA and California
Education Code, Title 5, and DOL
Education and Experience Requirements
- Maintain confidentiality of work performed including files and
- Prepare fiscally related reports and documents.
- Participate in employee grievances and negotiations.
- Analyze data to produce reports.
- Organize assigned tasks and make adjustments in priorities as
- Administer various bargaining unit contracts.
- Speak to groups and large gatherings of people.
- Explain District hiring policies and procedures.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with
those contacted in the course of work.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse
academic, socioeconomic, cultural, linguistic, ethnic backgrounds
and disabilities of community college students and staff.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university
with a major in business, human resources, or a related field;
- Three (3) years of human resources experience required, one
year is required in benefits administration or related field.
- An Associate’s Degree from an accredited college or university
with major course work in business, human resources, or a related
field; and Four (4) years of human resources experience required,
preferably in benefits administration or related field.
- High School Diploma and Five (5) years of human resources
experience required, two years in benefits administration or