About Kettering: Kettering University is a national leader in experiential STEM and business education, integrating an intense academic curriculum with applied professional experience. We inspire students to realize their potential and advance their ideas by combining theory and practice better than any institution in the world. Kettering University is dedicated to achieving the extraordinary through technological innovation, leadership, and service, built on values that foster respect, integrity, creativity, collaboration, and excellence in growth, global leadership, community outreach, and an engaged community of stakeholders.
BENEFITS include health, dental and vision coverage; retirement benefits with up to a 9% Kettering
matching contribution; life and accident insurance; tuition assistance and waiver programs; vacation and holiday pay; sick and disability pay; home purchase assistance program; recreation center membership; and many other benefits.
Flint Michigan: A storied past and an innovative approach to the future drives Flint forward. No other city of Flint’s size can boast similar cultural and social resources; the Flint Institute of Art, Flint Symphony Orchestra, the Flint Institute of Music, the Sloan Museum, the Flint Farmers’ Market, and several colleges and universities contribute to a rich social fabric. A vibrant array of dining, entertainment, and lodging options now enliven the walkable Flint city center. Kettering University is an important partner in the renaissance of Flint.
Our Mission and Vision: Kettering University prepares students for lives of extraordinary leadership and service by linking transformative experiential learning opportunities to rigorous academic programs in engineering, science, mathematics and business. Kettering University will be the first choice for students and all our partners seeking to make a better world through technological innovation, leadership and service.
Job Specific Required Qualifications
- BA/BS degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, or similar field.
- 5+ years experience with significant accounting responsibilities.
- Understanding and commitment to Kettering values:
- RESPECT: for teamwork, honesty, encouragement, diversity partnerships with students.
- INTEGRITY: including accountability, transparency and ethics.
- CREATIVITY: fostering flexibility and innovation.
- COLLABORATION: across disciplines and with all partners.
- EXCELLENCE: in all we do.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to work independently.
- Detail-oriented and demonstrates a “can do” positive attitude.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others in a team environment.
- Self-starter with solid organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple priorities or reprioritization of projects.
- Strong communication skills-verbal and written.
- Demonstrate proficient use of job-specific software applications and automated information systems and keep abreast of current technologies, seeking and implementing opportunities for efficiencies.
- Ability to manage documents and information in digital format.
- Ability to quickly learn computer software applications, such as Ellucian Banner and Argos.
- Excellent skills in MS Excel and Word.
Special Event Expectations: Participation and assistance is expected at major campus special events, such as commencement.
- Not-for-profit accounting experience in a private college setting.
- Knowledge of Ellucian Banner Finance software.
- Knowledge of TouchNet software.
- Knowledge of Argos software.
- Responsible for overall invoicing, collection and cash application activities, and timely management of all accounts receivable aging components, ensuring the integrity of related databases.
- Set up billing parameters for various student types, execute the computerized billing process, review sample billing statements for accuracy, and execute the posting of charges to student accounts.
- Review requests for billing adjustments and waivers, and as appropriate, post to student accounts.
- Process student refunds in accordance with existing operating procedures.
- Responsible for reviewing past due accounts, including following up with students, negotiating, establishing and monitoring established payment plans, and taking necessary collection action if accounts are delinquent.
- Perform daily reconciliation of transactions originating from the TouchNet Bill+Pay system to the general ledger, as well as reconciliation of cash received against transactions posted to the general ledger.
- Establish student account payment plans in accordance with established policies.
- Utilize Argos reporting software to produce accounts receivable related reports.
- Maintain records of invoices, deposits, and all correspondence regarding payment collection.
- Supervision of the cash receipt/counter operation by recommending policies and developing procedures for approval by the Controller, so that the cash receipt operation runs smoothly and that cash transactions are processed and posted in a timely fashion.
- Training, including task cross-training, and mentoring of staff members in the department.
- Assist with year-end closing by reconciling accounts and preparing work papers and analysis so that the accounting records can be closed in a timely fashion and adequate documentation is provided for an efficient audit.
- Annually, review and propose to the Controller for approval an allowance for doubtful accounts; and then make accounting adjustment as necessary in accordance with existing policies.
- Yearly preparation of tax document 1098T for distribution to students and reporting to the IRS.
- Annually, provide updates to the University’s catalog, including term tuition, room and board rates.
- Attend webinars and conferences to keep current on trends and best practices for managing accounts receivable.
- Remain informed of any legislative procedural training regarding debt collection.
- Assist in the review of current ERP for efficient utilization of the financial modules.
- Provide support to the Controller in assessing internal controls and implementing best practices.
- Routinely update and maintain desk procedures for all job duties.
- Respond to internal and external customer requests as appropriate.
- Assist the University in executing policies and compliance procedures.
- Participate in special projects and perform other duties as assigned.
- Participation and assistance is expected at major campus special events, such as commencement and convocation ceremonies.