University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
International Scholar Advisor
Position Number: 01004080
Vacancy ID: NF0006251
Department: UNC Global - IS SS-506503UNC Global - IS SS - 506503
Classification/Appointment Type: EHRA Non-Faculty
Full Time Equivalent (FTE): 1
If time-limited, estimated duration of appointment:
Hours Per Week: 40
Job Code ID: Public Service Professional
Salary Shown to Applicants (Hiring Range): Commensurate with experience
Salary Grade Equivalency:
FLSA Designation: Exempt
Duties Exempt: Yes
International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) is part of the Office of the Vice Provost for Global Affairs (OVPGA) and serves as the principal administrative, advising and programming office for all international students, faculty and scholars at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC-CH), a top ranking global public research university. The Office of the Vice Provost for Global Affairs has primary responsibility for shaping and implementing the University’s global strategy while supporting global activity across campus. Units that report to the Vice Provost for Global Affairs include: Global Partnerships, Global Education, Communications, Global Research Institute, International Student and Scholar Services, Development, Duke-UNC Rotary Peace Center and the Unified Business Cluster.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.
International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) serves as the principal administrative, advising and programming office for approximately 3,700 international students, faculty and scholars at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC-CH), a top ranking Global Public Research University. The International Scholar Advisor supports the recruitment and retention of top global faculty and researchers. This position offers the opportunity to learn new skills as ongoing training and professional development opportunities will be provided.
Essential duties include:
1. With a focus on excellent customer service, assists in obtaining appropriate immigration status, provides education about maintaining status, and provides general support for acclimation to a new community.
2. Serves as Alternate Responsible Officer of the University Exchange Visitor Program (J-1) and as a Designated School Official for F-1 Students.
3. Serves as liaison to multiple University units and to various agencies of the federal government.
4. Prepares employment-based immigrant and nonimmigrant petitions and related advising.
5. Advises and provides information to UNC-Chapel Hill international faculty and scholars, appointing unit staff, and faculty on government regulations and University policies affecting international faculty and scholars and their dependents.
6. Ensures compliance with federal labor and immigration laws and regulations.
7. Monitors regulatory updates, assists in the development and maintenance of online campus procedural materials and assists in making necessary changes to processes, forms, and information for distribution.
8. Provides trainings (workshops, information sessions, and orientation presentations) for campus departments involved in international faculty and scholar hosting.
9. Makes appropriate referrals for international faculty and scholars related to personal matters.
10. May perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
Interest in U.S. immigration law. Demonstrated cross-cultural communication skills and sensitivity. Ability to work as a team member in a group environment in an office dedicated to high quality services for international students and scholars. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
Skills with database tools and technology. Position requires accuracy and attention to detail. Candidate must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident to serve as Alternate Responsible Officer and Designated School Official in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), as required by federal regulation.
Relevant post-Baccalaureate degree required (or foreign degree equivalent); for candidates demonstrating comparable independent educational or instructional activities related to the delivery of student advising and counseling or student personnel services, will accept a relevant Bachelor’s degree (or foreign degree equivalent) and 3 or more years of relevant experience in substitution.
Qualifications and Experience:
Master’s degree in an area related to international education. A year or more of experience as an Alternate Responsible Officer and Designated School Official in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Knowledge of federal regulations regarding nonimmigrant classifications for international scholars, including H-1B, O, TN, E-3 and J-1 Exchange Visitors.
Experience preparing and filing employment-based immigration cases.
Experience working in college or university setting.
Cross cultural experience gained by living and/or working outside the United States.
Special Physical and Mental Requirements:
Focus, reading, interpreting, and applying federal guidance on immigration issues.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting: https://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/239547
Department Contact Name and Title: Yelena Mirzoyan, Business Services Coordinator
Department Contact Telephone or Email: email@example.com
Posting Open Date: 09/06/2022
Posting Close Date: 10/09/2022
Open Until Filled: No
Office of Human Resources Contact Information: If you experience any problems accessing the system or have questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (919) 843-2300 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: The Office of Human Resources will not be able to provide specific updates regarding position or application status.