Expanded Functions Dental Assistant, Penn Dental Family
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in
Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research,
and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks
among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World
Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide
opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education,
all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to
scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked
nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes
who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of
Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban
campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and
recreational activities. With its historical significance and
landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of
atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for
work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes
excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their
families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of
professional development opportunities, supportive work and family
benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources,
and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the
University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully
vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more
information about Penn's vaccine requirements, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website
for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
Expanded Functions Dental Assistant, Penn Dental Family
Job Profile Title
Dental Assistant D
Job Description Summary
Penn Dental Medicine's Family Practice (PDFP) is interested in
hiring the best and the brightest EXPANDED FUNCTION DENTAL
ASSISTANT who are looking to broaden their skill sets and gain
valuable experience in the art and science of the dental field. As
a member of the PDFP family, individuals are provided the
opportunity to work alongside a diverse team whose mission is to
provide quality dental care which exceeds patient expectations.
Ideal candidates must:
1. Be ready to have a voice on a highly collaborative team
2. Stay thirsty and always seek to learn and improve upon patient
service and clinical practice
3. SMILE…because WE make people smile!
Penn Dental Family Practice is comprised of over 35 doctors, 15
dental hygienists, 22 dental assistants, 17 staff AND GROWING!
Together, the team works collaboratively to provide multi-specialty
care utilizing leading techniques in patient care.
Experience in supporting expanded function support in dental care
delivery including preparation of treatment rooms, setting up
patient instruments and materials, passing instruments and
performing procedures in compliance with the dental practice is
- Prepares patient for dental treatment by welcoming, comforting,
seating, and obtaining medical history and patient vitals, and
- Documents dental care services by charting in patient records.
Provides information to patients and employees by answering
questions and requests.
- Provides materials by selecting, mixing, and placing materials
on instruments and in the patient's mouth.
- Make appropriate study models on indicated patients.
- Expose, process, and mount necessary x-rays
- Provides diagnostic information by exposing and developing
radiographic studies, pouring, trimming, and polishing study
- Maintains patient appearance and ability to masticate by
fabricating temporary restorations; cleaning and polishing
- Aid in chairside assistance as needed.
- Educate and motivate patients by giving oral hygiene and plaque
control instructions, presents and explains treatment plants to
patients, demonstrates effective communication to bridge the gap
between a pending treatment plan and a completed treatment plan,
provides postoperative instructions and schedules and subsequent
- Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by keeping
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to
infection-control policies and protocols.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with
procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Helps dentist manage dental and medical emergencies by
maintaining CPR certification, emergency drug and oxygen supply,
and emergency telephone directory.
- Conserves dental resources by using equipment and supplies as
needed to accomplish job results; monitors inventory; maintains
proper usage and operations of equipment.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending
educational workshops; reviewing professional publications;
establishing personal networks; participating in professional
- To date, clinical hours are Monday through Friday 7:00AM -
7:00PM; And Saturdays from 9AM to 2PM flexibility in scheduling is
required for all positions.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing and supporting as
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & POSITION EXPECTATIONS
- POSITIVE ENERGY AND ENTHUSIASM, with a strong commitment to
exceeding patient and team expectations
- FLEXIBILITY AND OPENNESS to work as a team in a variety of
roles, assignments, and duties
- TEAM PLAYER a strong desire to be an active, long-term
participant in the growth and success of the practice
- ABILITY TO ADAPT AND LEARN QUICKLY, make an immediate,
sustainable impact, and provide value-added service to patients and
- STRONG COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS, displaying the
ability to connect and build relationships with team members/peers
- CONFIDENCE IN PROFESSIONAL APTITUDE and ability to effectively
convey skills, knowledge, and qualifications to patients
- Current Expanded Function Dental Assistant licensure: Technical
School, Certification, or training required beyond High School and
minimum of 3 years of practical experience in a dental care
facility or equivalent combination of education and experience is
- All qualified candidates are required to be x-ray certified,
experience taking x-rays, chair side assisting and 4 handed
dentistry, taking impressions, pouring up models, understanding of
- Current CPR and BLS certifications required.
- Experience and knowledge in HIPAA policies, mixing materials
and dental charting required.
- Employment clearance through the State of PA to work on/with
children: as determined through Pennsylvania Criminal Background
Check, Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance and FBI Finger Printing
Database is required.
- Experience with AxiUm preferred.
- Ability to accommodate different scheduling requirements based
on the operational needs of the Penn Dental Family
Penn Dental Family Practice is the multispecialty dental practice
of Penn Dental Medicine. With general dentists as well as
specialists, patients can receive your comprehensive care for all
your dental needs within each of the two practice locations.
Patients benefit from a team of experts who practice using the
leading techniques and technologies in dentistry and who are
committed to providing compassionate, personalized care.
At Penn Dental Medicine, our students are among the nation's best,
and they are matched in quality by the high level of instruction
and research among our faculty. Our research encompasses all the
basic and clinical sciences, and Penn's emphasis on
interdisciplinary scholarship encourages collaborations across
disciplines. Our clinical care brings the latest techniques and
technologies to patients within our teaching clinics and faculty
practice. As stewards of the neighborhood in which we reside, Penn
Dental Medicine participates in a diversity of community outreach
programs, serving area residents while teaching our students to
practice with compassion and responsibility.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
School of Dental Medicine
$20.45 - $30.82
Salary offers are made based on the candidate's qualifications,
experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the
requirements of the position, as well as internal and market
factors and grade profile.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis
of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion,
creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age,
disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made.
Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the
requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn
offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health,
dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your
family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending
accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care
expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition
benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get
tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also
eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to
help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and
Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a
pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment
options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a
substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the
year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal
affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with
family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth
Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family
members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the
costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community
or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you
won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to
underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always
provide proof of good health and are subject to
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to
supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing
demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide
variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health,
your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an
array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community,
you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as
cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the
University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our
arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at
Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest
music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn
Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member
of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the
excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these
activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and
entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great
deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and
cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission
and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy
substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars
from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie
tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer
creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance
between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use
of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable
loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or
currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for
closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible
employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal
adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up
to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Penn-Dental-at-Schattner-Center/Expanded-Functions-Dental-Assistant--Penn-Dental-Family-Practice_JR00059853-1