Location: University of Maryland School of Pharmacy, Baltimore,
The University of Maryland School of Pharmacy is conducting an open
search for a Research Associate, non-tenure track in the Department
of Pharmaceutical Sciences. The select candidate will engage in
laboratory research with activities funded by the NIH, FDA, and/or
private corporations. This position primarily involves both
independent research project(s), working closely with the PI and
senior staff, as well as collaborative research studies with
members of the lab, and outside members. Secondarily, the position
oversees general laboratory operations.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore campus houses schools of
Pharmacy, Medicine, Nursing, Social Work, Law and Dentistry.
Additionally, the School of Pharmacy has a satellite campus at the
Universities at Shady Grove in Rockville, Maryland. The University
of Maryland enjoys an excellent established record of
accomplishment of successful collaboration for interprofessional
practice and research collaborations with the other professional
schools on campus.
COMMITMENT to DIVERSITY
We believe every person brings with them unique strengths,
experiences, and perspectives and we value these differences. One
of our best opportunities to deliver a workplace that is diverse,
inclusive, and focused on equality is to hire candidates who share
The successful candidate for this position will be able to describe
and demonstrate their committment to diversity, equity, and
inclusiveness as well as how they contribute to a respectful
- Lead the development and execution of independent project
research studies and revise experimental plans in collaboration
with the PI.
- Perform a wide variety of cell biology and molecular biology
- Maintain careful laboratory records including written lab
notebooks and well-organized electronic data files.
- Present results to PI and contribute to discussions about data
and direction of studies in the lab.
- Compile, analyze, and interpret research data using various
relevant computer software applications.
- Prepare manuscripts, reports, reviews, and summaries.
- Assist in writing, editing, providing feedback for grant
proposals and funding applications.
- Coordinate with lab members to schedule experiments to optimize
time and use on high-demand instruments.
- Present research findings at national meetings.
- Provide day-to-day laboratory operations oversight to keep lab
functioning optimally. Orient new students to the lab. Develop
policies, procedures and/or methods for laboratory experimentation,
and for ordering supplies. Communicate with lab safety officer to
keep students and lab environment safe and compliant. Identify and
address issues and deficiencies and implement effective solutions.
Schedule and coordinate with vendors and tech support for various
laboratory equipment calibration and instrument maintenance or
- Troubleshoot problems with experiments, equipment, or other
issues that may arise.
- Train and mentor graduate and undergraduate students.
Demonstrate laboratory procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Toxicology,
or a related field.
- Minimum of three years post-doctoral training is desired.
- Candidate must have prior research experience in preparation
and culture of human primary hepatocytes, RT-PCR, Western blotting,
confocal microscopy, and mouse xenograft studies.
- Experiences in gene promoter analysis and 3D cell culture are
desirable. A solid record of publication is required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal, and
organizational skills are a must.
HOW TO APPLY
- Skilled in designing and conducting cell biology and molecular
- Ability to network and provide information to key groups and
- Ability to work in collegial environment with co-workers in the
- Provide guidance and consultation to resolve issues.
- Ability to independently perform research in a laboratory
- Ability to lead research activities and perform various
- Skilled in data analysis using spreadsheet and software
- Ability to diagnose equipment malfunctions.
- Design research studies and prepare technical reports and
- Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent analytical skills
- Teamwork skills
- Interpersonal skills
Interested candidates must apply online through the UMB Online
Recruitment System and submit an initial application that includes
a letter of interest (reference Position Number 05-178-80),
curriculum vitae (signed and dated), writing sample, and the name
and contact information of at least three references. Shortlisted
candidates will be required to submit three letters of
recommendation from reviewers external to the University of
Maryland School of Pharmacy. In addition to applying online,
interested candidates may email application materials to:
Hongbing Wang, Ph.D.
Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Program Chair, Experimental & Translational Therapeutics
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
University of Maryland School of Pharmacy, HSF II room 549
20 Penn Street, Baltimore MD 21201
Questions regarding this search or to receive more information,
plase contact Dr. Wang at email@example.com
UMB employees are strongly encouraged to follow all CDC
recommendations related to COVID-19 vaccinations and booster doses.
Employees whose job duties require them to work in a clinical
settings or at clinical or field sites continue to be subject to
the vaccine requirements of those sites. For additional information
on protocols and exemptions, please visit the
UMB COVID-19 website .
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration of employment without regard of sex,
gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion,
national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any
other characteristic protected by law or policy.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for a disability, for any
part of the employment process, please contact us a HRJobs@umaryland.edu
and let us
know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for a
reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email