Washburn Institute of
seeks applications for a fulltime day GED instructor
located at the Huntoon Campus to begin immediately. This is a 10
month grant funded position with benefits.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Or Associate degree with KBOR Waiver approval.
- Adult Education Instructors hired before July 1, 2013 without a
Bachelor’s degree must be working toward that degree. Programs may
request to waive this degree requirement for potential
instructional staff with an Associate degree. Instructors hired
with the KBOR Waiver are required to have an approved mentoring and
academic plan to achieve a Bachelor’s degree with five (5) years of
hire date to continue employment. (KBOR Adult Education Policy
Manual, section, 3.2.1 Staff Education Requirement, Adopted July 1,
- Master’s degree and experience in secondary education.
Experience teaching mathematics.
The Technical Instructor position consists of four essential
functions: teaching, service, collegiality, and professional
- Adopt the curriculum used by the GED program; prepare lesson
plans and instruct students through individual instruction and/or
small group instruction; and at times via zoom or online delivery
- Perform effectively in the learning environment by being
prepared, maintaining discipline, engaging students in the learning
process and attend all class meetings.
- Evaluate student learning and adjust instruction as
- Collect and analyze student performance data with the Director
of the Adult Education Program and the ABE Coordinator.
- Take daily attendance and submit attendance weekly and follow
up with students who have missed class without communication.
- Maintain records of student progress and contribute to the
documentation of the GED program for the mandatory grant
- Participate in recruitment and orientation efforts.
- Complete mandatory trainings offered through Kansas Board of
- Evaluate each course one teaches and assess personal
performance in teaching.
- Participate in college-wide staff development days,
departmental meetings and fulfill committee assignments.
- Act in a manner that promotes collegial relationships and shows
respect toward students, staff, and colleagues.
- Participate in graduation ceremonies and other ceremonial
events as pertains to the department.
- Seek opportunities for professional development or advancement
of educational degrees.
- Adhere to college and University policies and perform
additional job-related duties as assigned or as appropriate.
Application review will begin immediately and continue until the
position is filled. To apply submit a letter of interest, resume,
copies of transcripts, copies of current credentials, and the names
and contact information of three professional references to
. Please use “Tech Instructor – GED Instructor” in the subject
line. The successful candidate will be required to submit to a
background check prior to hire. Official transcripts are required
Washburn is an EOE and is dedicated to providing a student-centered
and teaching-focused academic and work environment. We seek
candidates who are committed to Washburn's efforts to create a
campus climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse
student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups
that have been historically underrepresented and/or marginalized in
Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its
programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color,
religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status,
or marital or parental status.