Under direct supervision, performs custodial work required for the
cleaning and upkeep of buildings in accordance with the
aforementioned purpose of the Night Custodial Department. The hours
for this position are 11pm to 7:30am.
Medical, dental and vision insurance; paid vacation and holidays
(including an extra week at year end); paid time off for illness;
family and medical leave (including parental leave); tuition
remission and exchange programs allowing you and your dependents to
pursue a bachelor’s and/or master’s degree for no or low cost!);
long-term disability insurance; retirement benefits; supplemental
life insurance; travel/accident insurance. Employees also have
access to credit union services, wellness programs, employee
discounts and more
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs all custodial duties as assigned in large areas,
including trash collection and removal.
- Sweeps, dust mops, wet mops and scrubs floors, vacuums,
shampoos carpets and dusts furniture, cleans windows, glass and
- Possesses ability to fill, carry and lift 5 gallon 40 lb.
- Uses equipment including but it not limited to industrial type
floor scrubbers, floor strippers, buffers and attachments, wet and
dry vacuum cleaners and rug shampooing machines and
- Washes and/or cleans interior wall spaces and ceilings working
on ladders and scaffolding, as required.
- Moves commercial size furniture, such as sofas, dressers,
students desks, beds and mattresses as directed. Equipment used
includes but is not limited to dollies and hand trucks.
- Cleans and services lavatories, toilet rooms and rest rooms
following standard procedures.
- Maintains adequate stock of custodial supplies in assigned
- Maintains custodial equipment in good condition and report any
needed repairs of equipment or building with written work
- Shovels snow and de-ice steps and walks at building entrances
and connecting walkways.
- Provide own clothing for outdoor work in inclement weather.
Equipment used includes but is not limited to shovels and snow
- Replaces burned out light bulbs and fluorescent lights. Must
demonstrate proper use of ladder and ability to function in
somewhat awkward positions and confined spaces.
- Equipment used includes but is not limited to A-frame
- Learns and follows University work procedures relating to
duties, particularly as it relates to use of equipment and
chemicals. Learn and follow the safety rules and regulations of the
- Prepares set-ups and take-downs for special events as directed,
i.e. moving tables, chairs, video equipment, etc.
- Reads MSD sheets in case of emergency and follow procedures on
- Report items that require repair in buildings and to
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to continuous
- Supports mission, vision and values.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
- Willingness to work overtime as needed, including
- Willingness to take a leadership role with other custodians or
student workers when directed.
- Ability to work well with students, faculty, staff and the
- Ability to perform actions of climbing stairs and ladders and
lift 50 lbs.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ability to pass a criminal background screening process.
- Ability to prioritize and organize tasks.
- Professional appearance.
Employee is subject to both indoor and outdoor environmental
conditions (temperatures varying from below 32 degrees to over 90
degrees) for periods of over one hour, subject to hazards such as
proximity to moving parts, electrical current, etc., and involves
heavy work exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or
in excess of 50 pounds frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force
constantly in order to move objects. Must be able to climb stairs
and ladders and lift 50 pounds. Must be able to be fitted with and
wear a respirator. Must be willing to work overtime, including
weekends, as required.
11:00 p.m. to 7:30 a.m.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please be aware that as a continued emphasis on keeping our
community safe and healthy, we will require all faculty, staff, and
students to submit verification of full vaccination for COVID
Please provide 3 references, including name, phone number and
email. This may be included in applicant’s cover letter or optional
Elmhurst University is a leading institution of higher education
that seamlessly blends liberal learning and professional
preparation to help students reach their full potential. Elmhurst
University offers more than 70 undergraduate majors, 17 graduate
programs, degree-completion programs for busy adults, and the
acclaimed Elmhurst Learning and Success Academy for young adults
with developmental disabilities. Elmhurst University is one of the
Top 10 Colleges in the Midwest, according to U.S. News & World
Report; and U.S. News, Money and Forbes magazines consistently rank
Elmhurst as one of the Midwest’s best values in higher
Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a critical
component of the University’s mission, vision and core values. Our
commitment stems from the belief that an institution of higher
learning is enriched by the presence of diversity. Elmhurst
University is an EO Employer. Elmhurst University prohibits
discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal
employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard
to race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation,
religion, age, creed, ancestry, veteran status, marital status,
disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Direct Link to this Posting