This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of a highly visible
and important effort in support of our research institutes as a new
member of a new team providing a new service! As the Secure
Research Computing Analyst for Research Computing (RC), you will be
a key contributor to the development and support of secure cloud
computing services for researchers. This will include documenting
service offerings; helping researchers determine the suitability of
RC services to meet their secure research needs; and serving as the
front door to research teams needing a secure computing
environment. Your responsibilities will include providing efficient
and exceptional customer service, consulting with research
application owners to understand their applications and compliance
needs, and facilitating their onboarding and ongoing use of RC's
secure research capabilities.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
Research Computing, formed in 2010, and with a growing regional and
national presence, is an exciting and fast-paced innovator and
campus leader as well as a provider of comprehensive Continuous
Integration, supporting the CU Boulder campus research computing,
and data needs.
Based on our departmental goals and our commitment to diversity and
inclusive excellence, we particularly welcome applications from
candidates whose knowledge skills, and abilities, and desire to
contribute to an inclusive campus environment will help us achieve
our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Secure Research Computing Support:
Service and Compliance Documentation:
- Field user requests, inquiries and issues pertaining to usage
of and access to the secure compute environment. Common topics will
include account initialization, access management, and explaining
available services and networking options.
- Understand and explain NIST 800-171 and CMMC controls to users
including how they have been implemented in the environment and
their impact on the user experience as needed.
- Resolve user requests and service incidents in a timely manner,
supporting the team to arrive at root cause and documenting results
and lessons learned.
- Collaborate with team members including those in Research
Computing, Cloud Engineering, Networking and other services in OIT
as needed to resolve user requests.
- Track user requests through an isolated request tracking
mechanism within the secure environment.
- Provide ongoing feedback to Cloud Engineering and the Secure
Research Computing team based on interaction with users to inform
improvements, enhancements and service expansion.
- Maintain an understanding of the environment and supporting
technologies to be able to explain them in the context of support
requests and incidents. Azure government services will be the
initial cloud platform.
- Participate in outreach activities such as office hours, town
halls, and conducting presentations to educate research teams on
- Promote adherence to compliance policies and training to the
- Create and maintain training and procedural documentation for
using and supporting the environment and to meet required
- Continually improve documentation based on user feedback.
- Coordinate the publishing of public user information to the
Research Computing website as needed.
What We Can Offer
- Learn new concepts and technology and earn certifications as
needed to support users and perform job duties.
- Annual salary range for this position is $90,000 to
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be collaborative. Be excited. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution in a
scientific or engineering field, including computer science. A
combination of education and relevant experience may be substituted
for the degree on a year-for-year basis.
- 3 years of user support experience in an Information technology
service, preferably in support of research computing.
- Computational experience in science, math, engineering, or
- Because this position's responsibilities will include the
support of research applications with the potential to access or
view information that falls under ITAR export controls, only US
citizens, lawful permanent residents (green card holders) or other
protected individuals (i.e., persons designated as an asylee,
refugee, or a temporary resident under amnesty provisions) may
What We Would Like You To Have
- Strong collaborative skills and ability to work with colleagues
to solve complex problems.
- Strong customer service and relationship skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to
work respectfully with users and stakeholders with a variety of
computing skill levels.
- Ability to plan and coordinate outreach services for the user
- Ability to plan and conduct trainings on computational or data
science related topics.
- Ability to learn new concepts and technology and support users
in leveraging it for their research.
- Experience translating user requirements into technical
- Experience in research computing support.
- Experience in supporting systems with a high level of security
- Understanding of Azure services and concepts.
- Understanding of other cloud system services and concepts (e.g.
- Experience with IT security and data privacy best
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code and CD/CI concepts and
- Experience with at least one development or scripting
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background
and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and
responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by September 24, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: