We invite highly qualified postdoctoral applications in synthetic
polymer chemistry, protein chemistry, or chemical biology at
Virginia Tech, working in Adrian Figg’s group. The focus of this
position is to develop new methods to understand neurological
diseases (e.g., Parkinson’s disease) using synthetic
Further, the position will require the incumbent to:
- Submit manuscripts based on work to peer reviewed journals and
present results at national conferences.
- Provide oversight of day-to-day experiments, troubleshooting,
and analysis of reactions performed by other research group
- Take the initiative in finding solutions to scientific problems
that arise in the day-to-day research.
- Pursue research goals with routine consultation, but limited
- Supervise/train undergraduate, graduate students, and other
postdocs in research procedures.
- Assist in project design, execution, and interpretation of
- Prepare professional presentations, reports, and
- Engage in collaborative work with peers to achieve research
- Doctoral degree (recent) in chemistry, biochemistry, or an
appropriate related field. PhD must be awarded no more than four
years prior to the effective date of appointment with a minimum of
one year eligibility remaining.
- Strong background in synthetic polymer chemistry, protein
chemistry/expression, or chemical biology.
- Strong work habits and the ability to work independently as
well as with a research group.
- Ability to work under limited supervision.
- Strong communication skills.
- Knowledge of controlled radical polymerization
- Experience with recombinant protein expression and
- Experience with yeast and/or mammalian cell culture
- Creativity, independence, and high motivation.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with all levels of personnel in the organization
September 26, 2022
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim
(That I May Serve),
Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a
hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be
leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution
that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the
world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community
to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more
than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000
undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight
, a school of
, a veterinary
college, Graduate School
, and Honors College
. The university
has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus
in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in
Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices
. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech
conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or
applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including
pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic
information, national origin, political affiliation, race,
religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise
discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about,
discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of
other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an
accommodation, please contact Brandi Webb
during regular business hours at least 10
business days prior to the event.
September 2, 2022