Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) seeks a Director of Auxiliary
Business Affairs and Budget for the Auxiliary Services department.
This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in the
department responsible for delivering an exceptional campus
experience for students through the provision of high quality
auxiliary services, including dining, events, and retail. The
Director of Auxiliary Business Affairs and Budget, under the
direction of the Executive Director of Auxiliary Service, provides
effective oversight of administrative functions, data analysis,
planning, budgeting, and financial management within the
We seek applications from equity-minded candidates who promote a
culture of inclusion and respect throughout their work ; who work
strategically to reach operational and financial goals; and who
have a thorough understanding of complex financial reporting
systems and industry best practices. The successful candidate will
thrive in a campus environment that is committed to advancing the
principles of social equity and inclusion, environmental and
climate justice, and equal access to resources and
With a commitment to centering inclusivity, diversity, and equity
in executing key responsibilities, the Director of Auxiliary
Business Affairs and Budget supports the Executive Director of
Auxiliary Service in providing effective oversight of
administrative functions, data analysis, planning, budgeting, and
financial management. Manages the budgets and financial operations
for dining, retail, and mailroom and warehouse, and conference, and
events. Provides guidance and support for joint strategic financial
planning of budgets and for the design and implementation of
coordinated Auxiliary initiatives. Develops external business
The Director of Auxiliary Business Affairs and Budget l iaises with
the Vice President of Campus Services as well as other financial
and administrative offices, including Finance, Procurement, General
Counsel, and Human Resources in a manner that builds and fosters
positive relationships and demonstrates respect and
1. With an understanding of department and institutional goals and
strategic initiatives, plans and reports on all resource budgets,
including operating and capital budgets, forecasting models and
projections, purchasing, and inventory management.
2. Provides operational management and oversight of Auxiliary
services financial and business administration staff. Hires,
trains, guides, and mentors Auxiliary services accounts
receivable/accounts payable staff. Analyzes, monitors, and
evaluates the performance of assigned staff; establishes work
priorities and conducts performance reviews.
3. Identifies operational issues and areas of improvement and
implements solutions to improve processes and operational
efficiency in conjunction with RISD central budgeting.
4. Coordinates and ensures effective execution of the collaborative
financial and planning efforts of Auxiliary Services. Monitors and
maintains fiscal accounts and ensures compliance to institutional
5. Oversees business accounts, purchasing, payment, and
reconciliation, and ensures teams are following purchasing
protocols. Oversees and reviews internal audit materials.
6. Completes industry benchmarking tools and reviews results with
Executive Director of Auxiliary Service.
7. Oversees, maintains and prepares annual budget requests
including new initiatives, capital purchases, and adaptive
long-range budget modeling.
8. Provides training and oversight to Auxiliary Services management
staff in the implementation and management of business policies,
technical and procedural information, Payment Card Industry (PCI)
compliance as well as administrative processes and procedures
employed by the institution.
9. Creates RFPs related to bid processes within Auxiliary Services.
Manages and coordinates activities associated with assigned
contracts; participates in research and evaluation of proposed
contractual obligations and agreements; assists in contract
negotiations and administration; monitors compliance with
applicable contractual agreements.
10. Coordinates and ensures completion of inventory processes and
reconciliation for all areas. Proactively engagesWorks with
receivers to complete on year-end inventory and reporting.
11. Identifies, researches and establishes relationships with
potential vendors, partnerships and other areas of growth for the
12. Models, analyzes, and evaluates strategies, plans, and new
initiatives, provides data analysis, prepares to forecast, and
other financial reports or executive summaries, assuring accuracy,
timeliness, and compliance.
13. Develops and analyzes Auxiliary Services area and department
budgets, identifying areas for efficiencies and opportunities to
maximize institutional resources.
14. Prepares complex technical, administrative, and financial
dashboards and statistical reports that present and interpret
15. Participates in institutional budget meetings in support of
16. Plans for and coordinates capital and other large requests for
the coming year from annual review submissions.
17. Recommends priority orders for proposed projects, and tracks
strategic initiatives and annual goals.
18. Approves, and maintains necessary accounting and licensing
records. Manages all credit card payments, invoices and other
payments in Workday.
- Commitment to centering inclusivity, diversity and equity in
executing key responsibilities.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of strategic financial
planning, including operational and revenue budgets and accounts
receivable processes and functions, with proven ability to
understand market-driven pricing.
- Previous experience guiding, mentoring or supervising others in
a culturally diverse environment required. Must possess strong
self-awareness and the ability and desire to continue to
- Keen understanding of the supply chain for various products and
services, with knowledge of inventory best practices and impact on
- Comprehensive knowledge of data, reporting systems, database
systems, and operating systems, preferably Workday, CBORD,
Lightspeed (retail systems), inventory systems. Excellent knowledge
in Microsoft office suite, prolific in excel and word.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written formats
with multiple diverse populations, with demonstrated knowledge and
skill to engage across a wide variety of individual differences and
identities through meaningful interactions characterized by
respect, mutual understanding, and reciprocity.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced team environment .
- B.S. in Business Administration/Accounting or equivalent
combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of seven years’ financial or accounting experience
preferably in a higher education environment with at least three
years working with internal and external auditors, understanding
complex financial reporting systems and analyzing financial reports
for reasonableness and accuracy.
35 hours per week
12 months per year
Documents Needed to Apply:
Salary Grade Structure
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please upload
all required documents.
The successful candidate will be required to meet our
pre-employment background screening requirements.
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its
learning community and integral to an art and design education. We
welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute
to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal
Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability,
veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by
For internal use only - Job Family:
Dining - Operations