College of Health & Human Svcs
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an
unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values.
We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our
efforts and working side by side to further NAU's culture of
The College of Health and Human Services at Northern Arizona
University is seeking a strategic communications professional to
serve as the Communications Manager for the college.
In consultation with University Marketing and the Office of
Communications and Media, the Communications Manager will be
responsible for planning and executing internal and external
marketing and communications strategies to help the College advance
its vision and strategic goals. As the manager of communications
for the College, they will be work with College leadership on
communication efforts in a highly interactive and collaborative
Content Editor & Creator - 35%
- In consultation with University Marketing, create messages,
articles, announcements, newsletters, marketing materials,
brochures, graphics, invitations, publications, white papers,
talking points and scripts in compliance with NAU and CHHS brand
guidelines and utilizing evidence-based research to guide
- Applies subject matter expertise within the communications
team, as to audience and segments thereof, processes, technologies,
automations, and communication performance analytics.
- Maintain and regularly update the College's website and social
- Develop and implement marketing campaigns as needed by CHHS
degree program areas to prominently position the College and
achieve strategic goals.
Outreach & Brand Management - 35%
- In consultation with University Marketing and work completed by
marketing experts, infuse the vision of the College into
communication message strategy.
- Collaborate with department heads and program leaders in close
coordination with NAU Enrollment Management to build and sustain
student enrollment and facilitate personalized campaigns.
- Develops communications strategies and ensures stakeholders and
constituents have access to accurate information.
- Maintain the brand and expand its reach to drive engagement
with current and prospective students, donors, researchers,
corporate partners, and other stakeholders.
- In coordination with Office of Communications and Media, build
and maintain relationships with local media, university and
community leaders and other key stakeholders.
- Incorporates changes to existing communications policies and
makes sure information reaches all relevant stakeholders.
- Provide event support by promoting, attending and reporting on
events put on by CHHS.
- Evaluate reach and communication effectiveness and make
adjustments to communication strategy.
Administrative - 25%
- Contribute to College's planning, budgeting and forecasting
activities and manage expenditures within the annual budget.
- Manages scheduling and resource tracking for assigned
- In consultation with University Marketing prior to contracting
with a given outside vendor, manage third party vendors,
freelancers, student interns and consultants as needed.
- Serve as the primary contact person for CHHS media
- Serve as a member of the College's Senior Leadership Team.
Other - 5%
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in field of study: Communications, Marketing
or related field.
- 1 - 2 years of project management experience.
- 2 - 4 years of relevant experience.
- Master's degree or PhD in related field.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Google Analytics,
Wordpress, and Social Media.
- Event planning experience.
- Strong writing and media relation skills.
- Experience as a brand manager, particularly in the field of
public higher education.
- Experience working in a team setting.
- Experience effectively implementing initiatives through a
variety of marketing channels, including online advertising, email
campaigns, content marketing, social media marketing, word of
mouth, events, and/or earned media.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Expert knowledge of communications tools, technologies, data
segments, processes, and policies.
- Knowledge of best practices for communications in higher
education, including email creative, segmentation,
dynamic content, testing methodologies, deliverability, and
adherence to applicable local, state, and federal
laws, rules, and regulations.
- Strong understanding of the university's data structure.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel,
- Proficiency in customer relationship management systems.
- Planning, organizing, coordinating, and facilitating
- Project management skills.
- Analyzes complex situations and anticipates issues.
- Works with data from multiple sources and in various
- Demonstrates strong problem solving, organizational, and
- Manages and maintains relationships.
- Balances competing priorities.
- Communicates effectively.
- Promotes a diverse, inclusive environment.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of 12/10/21, the Safer Federal Workforce employee vaccination
requirement is currently suspended pending the outcome of a federal
court-issued injunction. This injunction has suspended the recent
executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees
of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. For
current status of the vaccine requirement and/or questions, please
visit FAQs for Employee Vaccination
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the
following: a criminal background investigation, an employment
history verification and a degree verification (in some cases)
prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a
fingerprint background check. Additionally, as an employer in the
state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal
E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new
employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year
Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report
. The report is a result
of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery
reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed
calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU
uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report
crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the
Fire Safety Report
is combined with the Annual
Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this
campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire
safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing
and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you
would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the
NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the
department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range begins at $73,000. Annual salary commensurate with
candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair
Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or
compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Service Professional (SPF) position. NAU offers an
excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and
vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement
System or the Optional Retirement Program; 22 days of vacation and
10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and
qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is
available on the Human
Resources benefits website
. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free
campus. Service Professionals are hired on a contract basis,
renewable each 6 months according to
terms of the Conditions of Professional Service
offered a position will be eligible for state health plans
(including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible
on the first day of the pay period following their
enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31
days from their start date to enroll in benefits. If a new employee
chooses the ASRS retirement option, participation in the Arizona
State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that
accompanies it, will begin on the first of the pay period following
6 months after the new employee's start date. New employees who
choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), which
is an alternative to the ASRS plan for faculty and other appointed
staff, will begin to participate on the first day of employment.
Additionally, the long-term disability plan that accompanies the
ORP will begin on the first day of employment.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity
for professional development. New
employee on-boarding training
includes courses to be completed
within the first 30 days.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship
for this position.
October 3, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on
this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the
"Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you
need assistance completing your application there are instructions
available on the Human Resources website
or in person in the
Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus
- on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable
accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact
the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006
or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities,
veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps,
and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=606581&PostingSeq=1