TITLE: Assistant Professor of Exercise Science
ABOUT THE POSITION: The Department of Kinesiology at UAH is seeking a tenure-track Assistant Professor of Exercise Science. Duties include teaching 9 hours per semester, engaging in scholarly activities, professional service, and serving on departmental, college, and university-wide committees. The candidate will teach courses in the undergraduate Exercise Science concentration, which may include, but is not limited to, exercise physiology, exercise testing and prescription, special topics in exercise physiology, measurement and evaluation, research methods, and courses in the news Sports Science graduate program. Specialties for the position may include teaching, research, and applied experience in human performance assessment, strength and conditioning, sports science, cardiovascular exercise physiology, clinical exercise physiology, and nutrition. Additional responsibilities include curriculum development, laboratory supervision, and performing other duties as assigned by the Dean of the College of Education and the Chair of the Department of Kinesiology. The ideal candidate will be committed to effective classroom teaching, student mentoring, curriculum development, and professional scholarly activity.
• Earned doctorate (ABD considered if completed by August 2023) in Exercise Science, Sports Science, Health and Human Performance, Nutrition, or related field
• Experience teaching university students in Exercise Science, Sports Science, Health and Human Performance, Nutrition, or related discipline
• Demonstrated evidence of scholarship (published, in press, and presentations)
• Demonstrated evidence of ability to pursue a defined research agenda in Exercise Science, Sports Science- or Nutrition-related field
• Experience developing/enhancing both undergraduate and graduate level general exercise science, clinical exercise physiology, and/or sports science related courses
• Experience teaching university students in online, hybrid, and/or face-to-face modalities
• Potential to collaborate with other units and colleagues within the university and community
• Demonstrated potential in grant writing and implementation
• Knowledge of maintaining and use of human performance laboratory equipment (EMG, force plates, metabolic cart, etc.)
• Active participation in and certification from pertinent professional organizations (ACSM, NSCA, etc.)
• Potential to teach and develop graduate level courses
• Experience working with programmatic accreditation
Rank and Salary: This is a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor. Salary will be competitive and commensurate to rank, experience, and qualifications. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available.
APPOINTMENT DATE: Fall 2023.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT: The Department of Kinesiology is authorized to award a Bachelor of Science degree in Kinesiology with concentrations in Exercise Science and Physical Education, as well as a Bachelor of Science degree in Sports & Fitness Management. Pending final approval, the Department will begin delivering courses for a Master of Science degree in Kinesiology with a focus on Sports Science in 2022-2023. Both the Exercise Science concentration and Sports Science graduate program are designed to align with the standards of the American College of Sports Medicine and the National Strength and Conditioning Association, which will soon offer a certification specifically for Performance and Sport Science. (https://www.uah.edu/education/departments/kinesiology)
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: The University of Alabama in Huntsville, classified as a High Research Activity institution, offers academic and research programs in the Colleges of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Business; Education; Engineering; Nursing; Professional Studies; and Science. Huntsville maintains one of the highest per capita incomes and standards of living in the Southeast. It is a national center of aerospace and high technology research and is home to NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center. Huntsville and surrounding communities present many opportunities for healthcare research and professional practice.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE AND DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest (relating your experiences to the required/preferred qualifications and responsibilities of the position), curriculum vitae, official transcripts, evidence of scholarly publications, and three current letters of recommendation. Please send application material to:
c/o UAH Kinesiology – Faculty Search
301 Sparkman Drive – Wilson Hall 329
Huntsville, AL 35899
Digital submissions may be sent via e-mail to email@example.com. Please direct any question related to the position to Dr. Ryan T. Conners, Exercise Science Program Director at Ryan.Conners@uah.edu
University of Alabama in Huntsville is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer of minorities/ females/ veterans/ disabled.
Please refer to log number: 23-24-634