DEPARTMENT: Translation and Interpreting
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Translation and Interpreting Studies
POSITION TITLE: Lecturer/Assistant Professor/Associate Professor (Teaching & Research/Teaching & Practice)
LOCATION: SUZHOU CHINA
ADVERTISEMENT OPEN DATE: 1 September 2022
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 30 September 2022
JOB ID: 2923
CONTRACT TYPE: Fixed-Term/3-year contract, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended.
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for more than 100 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and nearly 1000 academic staff from more than 90 countries. For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn
The growing Department of Translation and Interpreting is an integral part of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences. Vibrant and dynamic, the Department owns a BA Translation and Interpreting programme, which offers a rich selection of theoretical and practical modules, including translation and interpreting theories, practical translation, specialised translation (journalistic, business, law, audio-visual, etc.), translation technology and localisation, and all levels of interpreting. The Department also contributes to a Translation and Interpreting pathway for the four popular UG English programmes. In addition, staff recruit and supervise PhD projects on topics related to their research areas.
The Department operates two laboratories with the most advanced equipment and facilities designed for professional training in translation, consecutive interpreting, and simultaneous interpreting.
Staff in the Department of Translation and Interpreting have a wide range of research specialisations, including translating China, media translation, audio-visual translation, cultural translation, translation education, discourse analysis for translation, translation technology, and interpreting studies.
Please read further about the Department’s research, teaching, and staff profiles by exploring these two sites:
- Department of Translation and Interpreting:
- BA Translation and Interpreting: https://www.xjtlu.edu.cn/en/study/undergraduate/translation-and-interpreting
Responsibilities and Duties
We seek appointees with excellent research, teaching and supervision qualifications who will contribute to the Department’s research and teaching profiles.
The appointee of the Teaching & Research track is expected to perform the following duties:
- To contribute widely to the undergraduate teaching programmes: BA Translation and Interpreting and the Translation Pathway of the four English programmes. To contribute to designing, developing, planning and implementing high-quality curriculum and assessment activities. To supervise or assist with the supervision of undergraduate and research graduate (PhD) students. To produce research and publications of international excellence. To obtain internal and external research funding support. To engage with the broader scholarly communities. To take on administrative responsibilities as required by the Department, School, and University. To maintain own continuing professional development.
The appointee of the Teaching & Practice track is expected to perform the following duties:
- To contribute widely to the undergraduate teaching programmes: BA Translation and Interpreting and the Translation Pathway of the four English programmes. Ideally, the successful candidate should be able to prepare, deliver, and mark interpreting modules. To contribute to designing, developing, planning and implementing high-quality curriculum and assessment activities. To supervise practice-based final year projects for undergraduates. To publish practice-based research of good quality. To link professional translation and interpreting insights into teaching and research. To engage with the broader professional communities. To take on administrative responsibilities as required by the Department, School, and University. To maintain own continuing professional development.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills. Evidence of departmental citizenship and teamwork. The ability to adapt to institutional changes, identify desired outcomes and achieve goals within a specified timeframe.
Teaching & Research Track
Teaching & Practice Track
- PhD in Translation and Interpreting Studies, or a relevant related discipline. A strong knowledge of the subject area combined with a broad subject background enabling contributions to teaching programmes. Evidence of ability to design and teach research-led modules in the department’s offered areas. Proven record of ability to conduct good quality research in translation and interpreting studies or interdisciplinary areas. Evidence of clear research, funding, and publication strategy.
- A Master’s degree or above in Translation and Interpreting, Translation Studies, Interpreting, Conference Interpreting, or a relevant subject area. Substantial professional experience in translation and interpreting. Experience of teaching and assessment in a Higher Education context. Evidence of ability to design and teach practical and professionally relevant modules in the department’s offered areas. Evidence of ability to conduct practice-based research in translation and interpreting, or interdisciplinary fields. Evidence of ability to establish and maintain effective networking with the wider professional communities.
- Higher Education Teaching qualification, HEA Fellowship status, or a related teaching qualification. Experience with academic programme management and curriculum design. Cross-cultural sensitivity. Familiarity with China and Chinese higher education. Familiarity with the British system of higher education.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may not be eligible for PRC work visa.
Please send your application online.
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level Contact Details for Three References
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.
Please note that it is not necessary to apply for both tracks of the position. Please submit your application only for the position for which you are the best fit (Teaching & Research or Teaching & Practice).
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please email Head of Department, Dr Wan Hu at Wan.Hu@xjtlu.edu.cn. Informal enquiries may be addressed to HRBP Wenyu Pu at Wenyu.Pu@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID (2923) in your enquiry.