Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Curriculum and
About the Opportunity
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and
level of work being performed by people assigned to this
classification. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive
list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of
personnel so classified.
The Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Curriculum and Students works
in collaboration with the Senior Associate Dean for Academic
Affairs, and other members of the Office of the Dean in the College
of Science (COS), to develop, implement, review, and sustain a
large portfolio of academic programs (both credit-bearing and
non-credit-bearing), as well as overseeing critical aspects of the
College's operations in student recruitment, retention, and overall
academic success. The role is expected to be a collaborative
partner of the Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs in the
creation of new academic programming, on the Boston campus and
throughout the global Northeastern University network, to further
strategic goals of the College of Science
The Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Curriculum and Students will
be responsible for directed leadership of undergraduate enrollment
management efforts, and will work collaboratively to develop and
implement new, innovative, and comprehensive approaches to support
student success in strategic areas, such as undergraduate research
experiences, entrepreneurship opportunities, and various
initiatives centered on diversity, equity, and inclusion. In these
efforts, the role is assisted by a supporting team, directly
supervising the Director of Academic Advising and the Associate
Director of Student Programs.
Knowledge of academic programs, curriculum development, enrollment
management and student support programs. Excellent communication,
interpersonal, and managerial skills required. Knowledge and skills
required for this position are typically gained through a master's
degree with at least six to eight years of experience in a
University setting with student affairs, admissions, and faculty
relations required; preferably at an advanced research institution.
Managerial experience preferred.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
1) Curriculum Development and Management
2) Enrollment Management
- Work with the Senior Associate Dean and COS departments to
build new degree programs, or adapt existing degree programs, to
better achieve programmatic learning outcomes.
- Assist the Senior Associate Dean in developing programming to
promote student mobility throughout the network of Northeastern
- Work with the Dean and Senior Associate Dean to develop and
implement college-wide curricular innovation in undergraduate
- Manage all COS-related content in the academic catalog,
including college-specific academic policies, undergraduate degree
program requirements and suggested patterns of study, and the
database of courses offered by the College of Science.
- Review submissions for new, or revised, courses and degree
programs for adherence to COS and university guidelines. Monitor
progress of proposals to completion, and prepare annual report of
all curricular activity for the Dean and Associate Dean.
- Attend meetings of the COS Undergraduate Curriculum Committee,
and prepare monthly agendas (in consultation with the Associate
- Monitor the annual cycle of degree program assessment taking
place within departments, and assist departments in preparing for
periodic review by accrediting bodies.
3) Student Support Programs
- Develop internal strategies to meet COS goals set by the Dean
in areas of recruitment and retention (e.g., increasing yield in
targeted programs, efforts to recruit and retain certain
demographic populations, promoting four-year graduation rates,
- Attend regular meetings of the University Retention
- Together with the Senior Associate Dean, attend quarterly
meetings with Enrollment Management, and represent COS on monthly
Yield Strategy meetings.
- Assist departments and programs in developing impactful
recruiting strategies and materials, as needed.
- Collect, analyze, and deliver insight from undergraduate
recruitment and enrollment data to Dean, Senior Associate Dean, and
Associate Dean of Administration and Finance.
- Work with the COS communications team to create and update
marketing materials for perspective students.
- Supervise the Associate Director for Student Programs in
implementing annual yield events.
4) Co-Curricular and Pre-Matriculation Programs
- Monitor/report on UG research effort - work with Associate Dean
and departments to establish monitoring of non-credit-bearing
research activity on campus.
- Collaborate with the Office of Undergraduate Research &
Fellowships to direct students to relevant resources.
- Coordinate efforts to maximize student success in the
- Collaborate with the Associate Dean to develop co-curricular
content for high-achieving student populations.
- Design instruments to measure the effectiveness of student
support programs such as the Undergraduate Teaching Fellows, COS
Ramp-Up courses, and Summer Bridge.
- Work in close collaboration with the Director of Academic
Advising to review, innovate, and deploy additional
content/programming to promote student success, shorten average
time-to-degree, and deepen overall student satisfaction and
5) Teaching Effectiveness and Innovation
- Work with GEO, and the Chancellor's Office more broadly, to
maintain curricula associated with pre-matriculation programs
(NU.In and NU Bound) at previously-established provider sites.
- Manage renewal process for all COS Dialogue of Civilization
- Support Senior Associate Dean in development of new mobility
programs (e.g. new NU.In sites, new curated study-abroad
partnerships, new DoCs, new programs at NU network locations,
- Report annually on student mobility activities, and support
Dean and Associate Dean in developing implementation strategies for
all Provost-directed initiatives in the area of student
- Provide direct service, or facilitate outside support, for
faculty training in the Canvas LMS.
- Work with Academic Technology Support to provide resources to
COS faculty on classroom technology utilization.
- Review feedback from other colleges regarding COS performance
in key service courses.
- Work with the Senior Associate Dean to identify strategic
opportunities for on-line course development..
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking
to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and
staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its
forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect
that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, religion,
color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability
status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and
support of diversity and inclusion, please see
To apply, visit https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Boston-MA-Main-Campus/Assistant-Dean-for-Undergraduate-Curriculum-and-Students_R108507