- Virginia Tech
- Virginia, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Aug 30, 2022
The Maternal Influence on Neurodevelopment (MIND) Lab at the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC in Roanoke, VA, directed by Dr. Brittany Howell, aims to understand the biological pathways (e.g., specific breast milk components, the infant gut microbiome, etc.) through which mothers affect their infant’s brain and behavioral development. We accomplish this by collecting several concurrent measures, including milk samples, infant fecal samples, measures of infant structural and functional brain development using MRI collected during natural sleep, as well as other functional neuroimaging methods in awake behaving infants, and behavioral measures including parent-report and direct assessment in the lab.
The MIND Lab is seeking a Research Associate to support the MRI portions of the HEALthy Brain and Child Development (HBCD) study, an NIH-funded, longitudinal research project which will examine influences on children’s brain development from the second trimester through age 10 (https://heal.nih.gov/research/infants-and-children/healthy-brain). This position will report directly to Dr. Brittany Howell, the VT Contact Multiple Principal Investigator (MPI) for HBCD.
The duties of the research associate will include:
• Managing all aspects of MRI data collection for the VT HBCD site
• Being the primary contact for all HBCD MRI related communications.
• Acquiring MRI data infants and toddlers as part of the research team
• A Master’s or other advanced degree and demonstrated experience with MRI in any context.
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
• Experience in neuroimaging data analysis and report writing.
• Has demonstrated experience effectively collaborating with multiple researchers and dealing with complex datasets.
• Competence in using a variety of software packages to analyze and present data.
• Ability to communicate data and results in a clear, concise manner.
• Ability to maintain accurate and detailed records.
• Excellent analytical, reasoning, and problem-solving skills.
• Experience managing longitudinal neuroimaging studies.
• Demonstrated interest in infant development and working with families from diverse backgrounds.
• Experience with data collection using Siemens MRI scanners.
Commensurate with experience.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Brittany Shelton at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: August 30, 2022
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert