Westminster College seeks a Dean, Gore School of Business
Click here to view position profile: https://summitsearchsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/WestminsterCollege_BusinessDean_Profile.pdf
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
BVGSB seeks a leader who demonstrates and promotes the school’s cutting-edge, experiential approach, and its highly engaged, learner-centered environment. The dean reports to the provost and is part of a dedicated, collegial, and collaborative academic affairs leadership team that involves the school deans and the provost, as well as an extended campus leadership team that involves the school deans, the senior college leadership, and faculty, staff, and student leadership.
An effective dean will be an articulate, enthusiastic, experienced listener and communicator. The dean will inspire creativity and collaboration among faculty; assess and respond to faculty and staff needs within institutional and budgetary parameters; and exercise sound judgment in thoughtfully hiring, guiding, and evaluating faculty while facilitating program development. The dean will also serve as director of the newly restructured Division of Graduate and Professional Studies, overseeing the staff responsible for supporting program operations and providing student support.
The new dean of BVGSB will be involved in many exciting opportunities over the next few years and provide leadership in the following areas:
- Mission, goals, and strategy - The dean works with faculty and staff to articulate, develop, implement, and evaluate the mission, goals, and strategy of the academic unit and Westminster College.
- Student learning - The dean provides leadership in curriculum development, educational innovation, assessment, and program changes.
- Communication - The dean communicates plans, decisions, and other academic unit news clearly and in a timely manner.
- Culture and climate - The dean plays an important role in promoting a respectful, collaborative, inclusive, and fair academic unit and campus culture.
- Advocacy - The dean represents the interests of the academic unit’s faculty and staff to college leadership, and provides recognition, encouragement, and support for the work faculty are doing.
- Professional development - The dean works with faculty and staff to identify professional development and capacity-building needs and the resources necessary for continued professional growth.
- Management - The dean ensures that the core functions of the academic unit are performed efficiently and effectively.
- Personnel - The dean is involved in personnel matters including recruitment/hiring, retention or non-retention, promotion, and professional development.
- Advancement - The dean will partner with Institutional Advancement on academic unit or Westminster College-related fundraising projects.
- Student recruitment and retention – The deans are involved in aiding the admissions staff in undergraduate and/or graduate recruiting. They also partner with the director of student success and retention and the faculty in student retention initiatives.
- Assessment and accreditation – The dean provides oversight of the academic unit’s accreditations and manages activities such that academic-unit-specific assessments and/or accreditations are obtained or maintained.
- Shared governance - The dean works collaboratively with the faculty chair to promote and uphold a strong system of shared governance.
- Local, state, and national advocacy – The dean represents the unit and communicates across the community, including with government entities, in ways that facilitate awareness and excitement about the School and advance its goals.
- The successful candidate for this position will possess:
- A terminal degree in business or a related field.
- A strong record in higher education of teaching and scholarship and an achieved rank of associate or full professor.
- A minimum of five years of experience in an academic administrative leadership role that includes experience with personnel management, program development, managing budgets, diversity initiatives, enrollment management, and sustainability.
- A record of engaging with the business community through service on boards and/or collaborations between higher education and the private sector.
- A demonstrated commitment to fostering a diverse educational environment and an ability to work with a diverse student and faculty population.
Desired Skills and Attributes
- The successful candidate will possess at least some of the following experiences, skills, and attributes:
- Academic administrative leadership experience specifically with business programs similar to BVGSB programs.
- Evidence of competencies related to mediating and navigating organizational/higher education cultures.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in the school and across the campus community.
- Exceptional communication and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with strategic planning.
- Experience with fundraising and development or a skill set that lends itself to this work.
- A record of effective teaching that includes a commitment to innovative pedagogy.
About the Gore School of Business:
The Bill and Vieve Gore School of Business (BVGSB) is dedicated to providing distinctive educational programming based on integrating business and liberal education. The faculty and staff are committed to maintaining a highly student-centered learning environment. The BVGSB is home to undergraduate programs in accounting, business administration, finance, international business, management, marketing, economics, and sports management with minors available in business and entrepreneurship. Graduate programs include master’s degrees in business administration, business administration in technology commercialization, and accountancy.
Founded in 1988 through the generous support of Vieve Gore and Ginger Giovale, and accredited by ACBSP, the Gore School of Business has 16 full-time faculty members and boasts technologically advanced facilities for business education, which include interactive classrooms and a behavioral simulation lab. The School also houses distinct centers and programs that offer unique learning opportunities:
About Westminster College:
Founded in 1875, Westminster College has a rich history rooted in liberal arts education. Over the last 30 years, it has added professional programs in business, nursing and health sciences, and education. The college has a strong academic reputation, deep community and alumni support, and a legacy of providing student-centered, liberal arts and professional education. It offers an intimate college experience to approximately 1,500 total undergraduate and graduate students.
Westminster College, in consultation with Summit Search Solutions, Inc., will begin a confidential review of application materials immediately and continue until the position is filled; parties who apply by October 5, 2022, will be given first consideration. Applications should include a curriculum vitae and a letter of interest that addresses reasons for interest and experience related to the qualifications described above. All applications and nominations will be held in confidence.
For more information or to offer recommendations:
Summit Search Solutions, Inc.