Farm Technician Horticulture
- Kentucky State University
- Kentucky, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Aug 31, 2022
TITLE: Farm Technician - Horticulture
DEPARTMENT: Land Grant Program
REPORTS TO: KSU Farm Manager
EFFECTIVE DATE: Position will Remain Open Until Filled
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-Time
EMPLOYMENT CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The Vegetable Horticulture Farm Technician will report to the Assistant Professor of Urban Agriculture and will serve as a support person for the Student Organic Farm Program, the Extension Associate in Vegetable Horticulture, the Organic Research Program, and the Urban Agriculture Program in the College of Agriculture, Community, and the Sciences at Kentucky State University (KSU). This position will assist in conducting farm activities such as planting, irrigating, weeding, mowing, and harvesting. Duties will also include assisting in the collection, entry, and analysis of data for research projects. This positon will assist in the maintenance and implementation of extension demonstration projects and mentorship of less experiences student organic farm employees.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Provide support at the KSU farm and High Tunnel Complex the Vegetable Horticulture Program, the Organic Research Program, and the Urban Agriculture Program in the College of Agriculture, Community, and the Sciences at Kentucky State University (KSU).
2. Assists in the management of operations at the KSU Research and Demonstration Farm, High Tunnel Complex, and other KSU vegetable plantings.
3. Assists in conducting farm activities such as planting, irrigating, weeding, and harvesting.
4. Laboratory research may be required and appropriate training will be provided.
5. Collect, enter, and analyze statistical data.
6. Work with plant material in the arboretum on campus.
7. Other related duties as required.
High School Diploma.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of Agricultural crops.
• Knowledge of experimental design.
• Effective oral and writing skills.
• Supervisory ability.
• Computer literacy.
• Proficiency in relevant statistical programs.
• Ability to work cooperatively in a team effort is required.
• Initiative, resourcefulness, punctuality, and ability to work independently are essential.
• Field research involves extended physical exertion.
• Exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
REVISED: February 2, 2021
KENTUCKY STATE UNIVERSITY is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The functions, qualifications, knowledge/skills, and physical requirements listed in this job description represent the essential duties of the job, which the incumbent must be able to perform either with or without reasonable accommodation. The Job Functions listed do not necessarily include all activities that the individual may perform.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert