About Unity College:
For more than fifty years, Unity College has been preparing the
next generation of environmental professionals and leaders to
successfully face real-world challenges. With environmentally
focused degrees, Unity College offers affordable and accessible
degrees, certificates, and non-degree courses, through a variety of
modalities including hybrid, in-person, hyflex, and online.
Through the framework of sustainability science, Unity College
provides a liberal arts education that emphasizes the environment
and natural resources. Utilizing experiential and collaborative
learning, our graduates emerge as responsible citizens,
environmental stewards, and visionary leaders.
The Distance Education Advisor will oversee retention,
registration, academic planning, and advising for students in the
Distance Education Strategic Educational Business Unit (DE SEBU).
Their primary responsibility is to provide academic advising while
meeting retention goals and functions as the primary contact for a
set of students.
The Advisor provides student support through academic planning,
communication, and outreach to students, as well as providing
resources and tools for success. The Distance Education Advisor
maintains accurate records and must also have knowledge of
financial aid and billing processes as well as attend regular
trainings. Advisors will also support the Concierge recruitment
efforts as needed.
Full job description provided at time of interview.
- Review student files to make sure that students are on track
- Ensure satisfactory academic progress through graduation.
- Oversee the advising processes and register assigned
- Serve as the primary contact for the day-to-day relationships
around retention and advising.
- Commitment to helping students achieve their academic and
career goals through connecting them to appropriate campus
resources as needed.
- Carry a portfolio of a minimum of 150 registered students at
any one time.
- Cross-train to provide support and backfill for Distance
Education Concierges during high demand periods.
- Register students for upcoming terms to ensure they stay on
track for graduation.
- Reach out to students regularly through phone calls, emails,
and effective technologies as part of the student support
- Work with Unity College student support resources on behalf of
students as necessary.
- Work with Distance Education staff and leaders to develop
strategies for effective advising and retention efforts.
- Create and maintain academic plans for students through
- Meet or exceed retention goals, which are set annually.
- Become knowledgeable and articulate about Unity College
Distance Education, its programs, market niche, strategies, and
- Understand how to work with non-traditional and adult
- Other duties as assigned.
Location: Pineland Farms, New Gloucester, Maine
- Bachelors degree
- Experience in college student advising; ideally experience in
advising online programs.
- Valid Maine Drivers License with a good driving record.
- Excellent initiative and organizational skills with ability to
work both autonomously and in a team.
- Great time management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with strong
- Ability and willingness to work with students from diverse
political/socioeconomic backgrounds and a wide range of physical
and academic abilities.
- Good skills in word processing, spreadsheets, and computerized
- Personal commitment to the environmental focus and mission of
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational
structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being
discreet, courteous, and well poised.
Just a half hour from Portland, Unity College Headquarters, Unity
College Distance Education, The Technical School for Environmental
Professions, and the School of Environmental Business &
Sustainable Ventures are based at the Pineland Farms campus. The
facilities are within easy access to one of the fastest-growing
cities for startups in the country.
Unity College offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation
and benefits package for its faculty and staff. Benefits for
eligible employees include:
- Paid holidays
- Paid time off
- Short- and Long-term disability
- Life Insurance
- Flexible work benefit eligible