Salary for Announcement
The salary range for this position is $49,000 – $51,000 The salary
of the finalist selected for this role will be set based upon a
variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity,
education, experience, specialty and training.
The above salary ranges represent the University’s good faith and
reasonable estimate of the ranges of possible compensation at the
time of posting. MSU Denver offers a full benefits package.
Academic Advisor I
Full Time Professional Staff
The Academic Advisor I at MSU Denver is primarily responsible for
advising a caseload of students on degree requirements and
providing long-term degree planning. Academic advisors help
students develop educational goals and define a career path,
through use of a variety of advising approaches and tools. Further,
they monitor student progress, making targeted outreach to students
to address potential obstacles in retention and graduation.
Academic advisors also participate in University wide and
unit-specific advising initiatives.
Provide advising services to students (60%)
- Conduct advising sessions with students, assist with course
selection, scheduling and registration questions using
- Utilize knowledge of curriculum to help students with long-term
- Prepare and maintain advising documentation in the current
student success/customer management system.
- Refer students to appropriate University resources.
- Provide basic information related to career planning, financial
literacy, admissions and other applicable information related to
- Teach students about electronic advising and registration tools
and how to best utilize them for success (e.g. Degree Progress
Reports, Student Hub, Student Success Collaborative suite,
- Participates in New Student Orientation sessions and
- Participation in recruiting events may be required.
Monitor progress and retention of assigned students (20%)
- Utilize advising-based systems to track and engage assigned
students who are at-risk of not being retained (Early Alert).
- Deliver appropriate student-centered outreach.
- Participate in retention initiatives.
Professional development (15%)
- Begin or continue building knowledge of advising techniques and
- Participate in university-wide and unit specific advising
professional development opportunities (e.g., advising retreats,
NACADA webinars, conferences, etc.).
- Serve on committees, councils, taskforces, etc. where
Other duties as assigned (5%)
- Assisting the program coordinator with overrides.
- Other duties to be assigned by supervisor based on departmental
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated experience in a professional setting helping
others reach their academic, professional, and/or personal
- Demonstrated ability to relate effectively to a diverse
community (students, faculty, staff, alumni and parents)
- Demonstrated problem-solving, prioritizing, and preparation
- Master’s degree in either Higher Education, College Personnel,
Counseling, or an academic discipline
- Experience using computer-based student information system(s)
(e.g. Ellucian Banner, PeopleSoft, CampusVue, etc.)
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) proficiency desirable
- Experience working with and/or being sensitive to the
educational needs of a diverse urban population
Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm with some occasional extended
hours for events. While this position is an on campus role, there
will be flexibility of some remote work opportunities and hybrid
schedules (to be negotiated with the finalist).
Open Until Filled
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please see Special Instructions for more details.
IMPORTANT : In order to be considered as an applicant you must
apply via the online application system,
References refers to a list of three professional references, one
being a direct supervisor, and their contact information.
Official transcripts will be required of the candidate selected for
Talent Team Representative
Talent Team Representative E-mail
MSU Denver is pleased to offer our current and potential employees
a wide array of benefit options. To learn more, please visit the
Employee Benefits Offerings
Metropolitan State University of Denver is a unique,
access-oriented campus community that values diversity, equity, and
inclusion in all its forms. Our student population consists of
nearly 50% first generation students and over 45% students of
color. We are a designated Hispanic Serving Institution located in
We create an equitable learning and working environment in concert
with individuals who consistently demonstrate commitment to equity
and inclusion. We greatly value the diverse identities and
perspectives of our students, faculty, and staff and recognize that
in order to achieve a just and equitable society, diversity must go
beyond simple representation. It requires critical inquiry and
dialogue and a commitment to action. We strive to provide a culture
of belonging for all community members to achieve personal and
MSU Denver is committed to creating and fostering a work
environment and culture of belonging; we are proud of the work our
employee affinity groups contribute to our culture. For more
information on our employee affinity groups please visit this