Academic Administrative Specialist
Pay Range Starts at
: $17.75 per hour
Columbia College is committed to creating an inclusive employee
experience for all regardless of race, color, national origin,
gender, religion, sexual orientation, age or disability. The
college maintains a safe place for open discourse; supports
activities that promote diversity and inclusion; and overall,
fosters a sense of community that welcomes everyone.
The Academic Administrative Specialist is a high-level position
with significant responsibility. The Academic Administrative
Specialist maintains the organizational and clerical administrative
support functions for the School Dean, and coordinates School
operations as they interface with part-time and full-time faculty,
students, and personnel of other offices within and outside of
- Perform job duties in accordance with Columbia College’s
vision, mission and values, and contributes to the development of
the Academic Affairs Department.
- Practice superior customer service.
- Fulfill additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Display respect and civility to all constituencies in all
- Attend work timely and on a regular basis during the
established hours of operation; work additional hours as business
- Ensure proper workflow of internal academic processes,
including but not limited to:
- Faculty annual reviews.
- Faculty load determination, course release tracking, and
- Faculty hiring searches.
- Coordination of logistics for new faculty and new chair
- Course schedule coordination and updating.
- Catalog revisions.
- Master syllabus updating.
- Course syllabi collection and archiving.
- Degree maps collection and archiving.
- Adjunct hiring contract management.
- Annual program updates via the Intranet.
- Initiate and track tickets with Tech Services toward process
- Prepare budgetary documents for review by the School Dean.
- Utilize and update records in Colleague, Syllabus Manager,
WebFocus, and other relevant software.
- Troubleshoot issues as they arise within the Dean’s
- Assist the Dean with special projects, reporting, and
- Coordinate general processes with faculty, other School
Administrative Specialists, the Director of Academic Operations,
Registrar’s Office, Payroll, and other internal stakeholders.
- Greet and assist visitors to the Dean’s Office.
- Answer phones and emails.
- Taking and relaying accurate and complete messages.
- Scheduling meetings.
- Making copies.
- Record minutes for various meetings within the School.
- Coordinate internal and external mailing services.
- Probation, Suspension, and Dismissal letters.
- Dean’s List certificates
Position reports to:
Respective School Dean
Required Core Competencies and Professional Experience:
Required Level of Education:
- Ability to fluently read, write, and understand the English
- Proficiency with the following, but not limited to: active
listening; speaking; writing; critical thinking; judgment and
decision making; monitoring; reading comprehension; time
management; coordination; and management of personnel
- Proficiency for using a variety of computer and
technology-related software and equipment, including Microsoft
Office products and database systems.
- Proficiency in using web-based technologies, including database
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment, with
or without direct supervision.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, customer service, and
- Proficiency with the following, but not limited to: speaking;
active listening; time management; service orientation; writing;
monitoring; reading comprehension; coordination; social
perceptiveness; and active learning.
- Interpersonal – Maintains confidentiality; Exercises
self-composure; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses;
Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to
continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with
- Diversity - Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural
- Oral and Written Communication - Speaks and writes clearly;
Listens effectively; Responds well to questions.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts
well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration
regardless of their status or position
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures;
Completes tasks correctly and on time.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment;
Manages competing demands.
- Minimum three years’ experience with administrative duties and
general office responsibilities and procedures, preferably in
- Demonstrated experience working in high-traffic, fast-paced
office with multiple demands and priorities.
Some college coursework
Preferred Level of Education:
Ability to satisfy, within the parameters
set by the College and consistent with applicable federal, state
and local laws, a criminal background check as a condition of
The physical requirements described
here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions. Individuals seeking
accommodation should contact the Human Resources Department without
delay. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
regularly required to sit for long periods of time, talk, and hear.
The employee is required to use hands and fingers to handle or
feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop,
kneel, or crawl. Employee must be able to type on a computer
keyboard and use a computer monitor on a regular basis.
The work environment conditions described
here are representative of those an employee encounters while
performing the essential functions of this job. While performing
the duties of this job, the employee is rarely exposed to outside
weather conditions; however, possible exposure to hazards and
physical risks to personal safety may occur while operating certain
equipment. The noise level in the work environment is usually
This job description is not meant to be all-inclusive of every
duty and responsibility required by the employee in the
Eligibility for employee benefits and perks is determined by
employment status. For more information please see https://www.ccis.edu/careers
The offer of employment and assignment to duties is contingent upon
a satisfactory criminal background check. The information may
include, but is not limited to, academic, residential, achievement,
performance, attendance, disciplinary, employment history, credit
history, driving history, and criminal history of public
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until
the position is filled.
Columbia College is an equal opportunity employer.
In compliance with the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) and
the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus
crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), the Department of Campus Safety
for Columbia College has provided the Annual Security and Fire
Safety Report and crime statistics for the main campus and venues
Columbia College is required to distribute this information to all
current and prospective employees and students. Please follow the
link below for the full report or contact Human Resources at
573-875-7495 for a printed copy.