Reporting to the Assistant Vice President of Academic Affairs the Academic Counselor is responsible for supporting the academic wellness of new and continuing students. Academic Counselors provide students with accurate and current information about academic programs and campus policies, make referrals to supportive services and offices on campus in order achieve student success.
Responsibilities Estimated % of Time
- Coordinate activities associated with Academic Counseling 50%
- Recruitment, train, and supervise Academic Peer Mentors (APMs)
- Effectively utilize an early alert system to monitor and provide information to help students overcome obstacles to achieving academic goals.
- Support Academic Affairs with management of SOAR activities which includes professional advising and Placement Exams.
- Academic Counselor and Academic Support Activities 45%
- Serves as academic counselor for academically at risk students.
- Prepares reports for non-registered students and implements retention plan
- Other duties as assigned by Assistant VP Academic Affairs 5%
This position is designated as Campus Security Authority (CSA) based on the job functions:
- A Campus Security Authority(CSA) is an individual, who by virtue of their university responsibilities and under the Clery Act, is designated to receive and report criminal incidents to the Department of Public Safety so that they may be included and published in the university's Annual Security
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Master’s degree in education, counseling, student development/student affairs, or appropriate major field or a bachelor’s degree with extensive experience working in academic support services.
- Experience with undergraduate students, especially with incoming freshmen and transfer students.
- Knowledge of higher education curricula and willingness to keep current with trends in higher education and all University academic programs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including computer literacy with knowledge of word-processing and spreadsheets.
- Availability for evenings and weekends.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Close vision, hearing/listening, and clear speech.
- Manual hand/fingers dexterity.
- Walking, lifting and carrying up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to utilize office equipment such as computers and copiers
- Combination of sedentary work, kneeling, stooping, bending, sitting, squatting, standing, etc.
- Works with/around and has verbal and face-to-face contact with others.
- Works indoors in an office environment majority of the time.
- Simple to complex reading, writing, clerical, and math ability.
Application: Review of applications will begin Immediately and remain open until filled.
All application materials must be submitted through the Woodbury University Job Board. Email applications and submissions on third party platforms will not be considered. Submissions must include:
- Current resume/CV which lists educational and employment history.
- Cover Letter
- Contact information for at least three references
About Woodbury University
Located in Southern California at the global epicenter of creativity and influence, Woodbury University earns its reputation as a leading creative university thanks to nationally ranked programs in its School of Architecture and School of Media, Culture & Design. What makes the university unique is the array of unparalleled academic offerings in its School of Business and College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. The university has been named a College of Distinction for 7 years running and has earned NASAD (MCD, architecture), AACSB (business), WSCUC, ACBSP (business), CIDA (architecture), and NAAB (architecture) accreditations. With an 8:1 student-to-faculty ratio, students learn from one of the most professionally accomplished faculties in the world, intern and work at the most innovative companies in the world, and go on to build careers that others only dream of. Please follow the link to learn more about Woodbury University: https://woodbury.edu/about/about-woodbury/facts-and-figures/
Woodbury University is dedicated to celebrating diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Woodbury University is an EEO/AA institution committed to multicultural diversity in its peoples and programs. All employment decisions for all job classifications will be made on the basis of such factors as education, character, ability, skill and training, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political orientation, disability, veteran status, marital status, parental status, genetic information, membership or non-membership in any lawful organization, or any other protected status.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)