Graphic Designer, Intermediate
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an
unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values.
We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our
efforts and working side by side to further NAU's culture of
To be considered for this position, you must submit a portfolio
that includes the following:
- branding and layout samples
- digital display ads and/or social media ads
- motion graphics and/or animations
Reporting to University Marketing, the Graphic Designer,
Intermediate creates visual communication designs that support
department and/or university initiatives and objectives. This
Intermediate Designer develops design solutions that can be
delivered through a variety of channels, including print and
digital media. The successful candidate maintains visual themes in
compliance with university brand standards to ensure all visual
communications to all university audiences are consistently
on-brand. The level of work performed is complex and requires
specialized knowledge of methods, techniques, and software used in
Design - 80%
- Creates graphic design solutions to communicate and promote the
NAU or department experience to various audiences - prospective
students and parents, current students and parents, faculty, staff,
alumni, donors, and other community members.
- Understands the university brand's visual communication
strategies and can apply such to all created materials.
- Plays a role in ensuring the quality of any design that
represents the department or university.
- Prepares a variety of professional graphic designs for print
and digital media, including digital display ads, social media
ads/posts, motion graphics/animations, postcards, fliers, posters,
brochures, annual reports, advertisements, and other university
publications and materials.
- Is skilled and experienced in working with both pre-press
(printing) specifications and digital design requirements.
- Confers with University Marketing team members, Printing
Services, other university staff, and vendors regarding project
specifications such as paper stock, graphic content, layout, and
- Ability to create clean and professional mock-ups when hard
proofs are needed.
- Demonstrates intermediate knowledge of concepts, processes, and
- Follows standard principles and guidelines with some latitude
for personal decision making; any personal decision making is
expected to utilize existing standards and procedures.
- Routinely uses Adobe WorkFront project management software to
upload and collaborate on design proofs
- Proofs typesetting and printing for adherence to
specifications; determines if quality standards have been met.
- Provides photo direction and recommendations as needed for
- Works with print vendors, reviewing digital and physical proofs
and has experience in press supervision to ensure product
Administrative and technical - 10%
- Performs accurate time tracking and logging of all
- Manages project workflow via Adobe WorkFront platform: track
and report project statuses and updates, manage workload and
- Organizes and maintains accurate records of work in progress
for department records.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive
maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions;
troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining
equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment.
- Performing software updates as needed.
- Maintains technical knowledge and stays abreast of emerging
technologies, methods, software, and design trends.
- Other duties necessary for the effective operation of the
Mentoring - 5%
- Critiques work and offers constructive input and guidance to
- Advises student employees on project workflow and support.
Other - 5%
- Other duties as assigned.
- This position is a full-time indoor office position.
Occasionally this position requires over-time to cover specific
- Associate's or bachelor's degree in graphic design, visual
communications or related field.
- Minimum 2-4 years of relevant experience.
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be
substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year
- Knowledge and experience working with Mac computer platform and
- Experience working within established institutional brands and
related brand standards.
- Experience developing marketing collateral with an emphasis on
working with diverse audiences and spanning across a variety of
- Knowledge and skill of various digital marketing and
traditional print designs.
- Knowledge of university policies related to the university's
- Intermediate graphic design skills including typography and
text layout in InDesign, photo editing/retouching in Photoshop, and
motion graphics in After Effects.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Intermediate knowledge of best practices in graphic design for
marketing and communications.
- Intermediate knowledge of graphic design tools and processes
for various media, including relevant digital media
- Knowledge of university policies related to the university's
- Knowledge of routine marketing tools, processes, and
- Intermediate graphic design skills.
- Intermediate skill in Adobe Suite and other relevant
- Intermediate skill in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel,
- Intermediate skill in using digital asset management
- Skill in preparing reports and summaries.
- Balances competing priorities.
- Delivers non-routine presentations and design pitches.
- Learns and applies new techniques to work assignments.
- Organizes and coordinates work within schedule constraints and
handles emergent requirements in a timely manner.
- Pays close attention to detail in work productivity while
remaining flexible for big-picture/systems thinking.
- Demonstrates strong problem solving, organizational, and
- Works in a dynamic, collaborative and deadline-driven
- Communicates effectively.
- Promotes a diverse, inclusive environment.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of 12/10/21, the Safer Federal Workforce employee vaccination
requirement is currently suspended pending the outcome of a federal
court-issued injunction. This injunction has suspended the recent
executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees
of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. For
current status of the vaccine requirement and/or questions, please
visit FAQs for Employee Vaccination
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the
following: a criminal background investigation, an employment
history verification and a degree verification (in some cases)
prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a
fingerprint background check. Additionally, as an employer in the
state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal
E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new
employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year
Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report
. The report is a result
of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery
reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed
calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU
uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report
crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the
Fire Safety Report
is combined with the Annual
Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this
campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire
safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing
and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you
would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the
NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the
department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Anticipated salary range is $41,421 to $51,776. Annual salary
commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair
Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or
compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent
benefit package including generous health, dental and vision
insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System;
paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for
employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at
NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website
. Classified Staff
employees are in a probationary status for their first six months
at NAU. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Employees offered a
position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's
BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits
on the first day of the
pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date.
Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in
benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in
the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability
coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period
following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity
for professional development. New
employee on-boarding training
includes courses to be completed
within the first 30 days.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship
for this position.
October 26, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on
this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the
"Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you
need assistance completing your application there are instructions
available on the Human Resources website
or in person in the
Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus
- on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable
accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact
the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006
or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities,
veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps,
and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=606561&PostingSeq=1