Shuttle Bus Driver
- San Jose State University
- California, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Aug 25, 2022
Reporting to the Parking Services Manager the Shuttle Bus Driver transports students, faculty, staff, and visitors between the South Campus Park & Ride lots and the Main Campus. When shuttle service is not required, the shuttle bus driver assists with other duties, including parking facility maintenance, vehicle cleaning/maintenance and/or general office duties. The driver is also responsible for the safe operation of the shuttle buses, which includes daily safety inspections, fueling/servicing and making minor repairs/adjustments as needed.
- Drive shuttle buses and comply with applicable laws and regulations
- Fuel and clean shuttle buses. Remove debris and trash
- Keep statistical data on ridership and complete daily inspection reports
- Turn in lost/found items and report suspicious circumstances/safety hazards in parking facilities and on designated bus routes
- Assist with basic maintenance duties in parking facilities and with general office duties
- Knowledge of the rules of safe driving and the provisions of the State of California Vehicle Code as they pertain to the operation of shuttle buses.
- Knowledge of the State of California General Industrial Safety Orders related to vehicle operation.
- Ability to safely operate an up-to-47 passenger bus.
- Ability to recognize safety hazards and follow practices and laws to insure safety.
- Ability to follow safety manuals and guidelines pertaining to the operation of State vehicles.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position.
- Ability to service and make routine repairs of equipment operated.
- Excellent customer service and public relation skills.
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports.
- Ability to learn to operate basic office equipment and basic parking maintenance tools.
- Ability to assess traffic patterns and make route adjustments to facilitate bus service.
- Must possess a valid Commercial Class A or B California Driver’s License endorsed for passengers and air brakes.
- Must possess a valid medical certificate. The driver of state-owned vehicles must maintain a good driving record, which will be checked periodically with the California Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Must be fingerprinted, pass a background investigation and a drug test.
- Equivalent to one year of paid or regularly assigned driving experience in a job involving operating a delivery vehicle, truck, tractor, bus, or automotive maintenance equipment. Possess appropriate license for each vehicle operated and may be required by the State of California Vehicle Code to carry appropriate certification while driving.
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- One year or more of commercial driving experience operating a vehicle requiring a Commercial Class A or Commercial Class B California Driver’s License endorsed for passengers and air brakes
Classification: Heavy Equipment Operator/Bus Driver
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,859/month - $5,177/month
CSU Salary Range: $3,254/month - $5,840/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com .
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf . The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at email@example.com .
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: January 17, 2023 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert