Part-Time Specialist III, Instructional Support
- Lone Star College
- Texas, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Aug 24, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Academic Affairs, Adult & Continuing Education Programs, Instructional Technology & Design (Campus), Librarians & Library Administration, Business & Administrative Affairs, Other Business & Administrative Affairs, Student Affairs, Academic Advising & Academic Support Services
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Part Time
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-Kingwood
Lone Star College offers high-quality, low-cost academic transfer and career training education to 93,000+ students each semester. LSC has been named a 2021 Great Colleges to Work For® institution by the Chronicle of Higher Education and ranked 35th in Texas in the Forbes ‘America’s Best Employers By State’ list.
LSC consists of eight colleges, seven centers, eight Workforce Centers of Excellence and Lone Star Corporate College.
Lone Star College-Kingwood, an innovative and dynamic community college located in the pine-forested suburbs of northeast Houston, has an opening for someone interested in working with a diverse group of colleagues who want to make a difference in the lives of students and grow professionally. Kingwood focuses on fulfilling individual dreams and enhancing community life and offers unique programs in respiratory care, computer gaming and dental hygiene.
Location address is 20000 Kingwood Drive, Kingwood, TX 77339.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The PT Specialist III, Instructional Support, will welcome and support Learning Commons users in person, over the phone, and through email at the front desk. He/she will be responsible for three types of work: circulation duties, basic computer assistance, and tutoring check-in/out processes. Some duties include creating IDs, checking items in/out, directing users to appropriate Learning Commons resources and staff, assisting with computers, assisting with software such as Microsoft Office, and basic troubleshooting of technology. This position will require the employee to regularly walk the space offering assistance as needed.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides computer lab assistance to college students, staff and general public; including but not limited to: Microsoft office, D2L, printing, scanning, and other Learning Commons technology
- Provides basic circulation assistance; including but not limited to: check-in/out of items, processing holds, creating student IDs, and resolving fines using Symphony Workflows and Peoplesoft
- Manages tutoring check-in/out, explains the tutoring lab process, and oversees smooth operations for users and tutors
- Serves as an energetic, friendly, and knowledgeable first-line contact for the Learning Commons in person, by telephone, and email. Screens and refers users to appropriate resources such as tutoring or reference librarians when professional assistance is needed
- Monitors and maintains the smooth operation of the Learning Commons space through tasks such as straightening furniture, waking up computers, checking on supplies, wiping down surfaces, and checking "high-risk" areas for inappropriate behavior
- Troubleshoots printers, scanners, copiers, and computers in the Learning Commons space; reports issues to the appropriate personnel
- Interprets and enforces Learning Commons policies and procedures for students, college staff and the community
- Opens/closes learning commons areas - dependent on schedule and assignment
- Responsible for clerical tasks such as maintaining statistics, collection inventory, shelf-reading, data entry
- Responsible for other reasonable related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated proficiency with computers and basic software such as Microsoft Office
- Technologically savvy
- Excellent communication and customer service skills; approachable and energetic with a dedication to service.
- Good problem solver
- Ability to multitask
- Experience with D2L/Symphony Workflows a plus
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work. This position does require the employee to regularly walk the space offering assistance as needed.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone, and other general officeequipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safetyhazards
- High School Diploma or GED
- At least 1 year related work experience
Hourly Pay Rate is $13.99
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert