Administrative Specialist - Office of the President
Attention Current Willamette University Employees:
to apply for posted positions, please close this window and log
into your Workday account and apply through the Career
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the online
To be considered for employment at Willamette University, please
complete our online employment application. Your application and
all required attachments -- listed at the bottom of the page --
must be submitted for each individual job post that you are
interested in applying for. If there is an application deadline,
please ensure that your application is submitted by the deadline.
Once you submit your application you will not be able to edit your
This position provides comprehensive administrative support for the
Office of the President and all of the functions it manages
including event and meeting planning for complex campus wide events
and the Board of Trustees. Serves as a source of information and
coordination to offices across campus and to external campus
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable
Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provides coordination in support of events and projects
undertaken by the office of the President, including, but not
limited to preparation of invitations, maintenance of guest lists,
acquisition of technology, and coordination of space and
- Provides coordination in support of Board of Trustees meetings
and events, under the direction of the Chief of Staff.
- Attends board committee meetings to record minutes.
- Prepares correspondence from written and oral
- Coordinates appointments and scheduling for the Chief of Staff
as well as for the President, in the absence of the Executive
Assistant to the President.
- Provides front-line customer service, including but not limited
to answering phones, greeting visitors and answering general
questions related to the functions of the office.
- Provides information to students, faculty, staff, alumni, and
other members of the public; responds to questions and/or
complaints as appropriate.
- Prepares budget transfers and ensures timely payment of
- Processes credit card and expense reimbursements.
- Performs general office duties, such as ordering supplies, and
performing basic bookkeeping work (e.g., purchase card
- Maintains office files for the President's office, as directed,
and facilitates appropriate recordkeeping practices, identifying
and following necessary protocols for record retention.
- Safeguards the confidentiality of departmental or office
administration by exercising discretion in communicating
information to faculty, students and staff, and handling
departmental records and files, personnel actions, performance
evaluations, merit, promotion and tenure decisions, and similar
- Provides a welcoming, inclusive work environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED required. Bachelor's degree
- Minimum five years of executive administrative support work
- Demonstrated communication skills: verbal, written, and
- Demonstrated organizational and time management
- Ability to take initiative and be proactive.
- Demonstrated computer competency.
- Must have patience, integrity, and the ability to exercise good
judgment and diplomacy.
- Must maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently as well as establish and maintain
harmonious relations with other staff, faculty and
Typical work schedule:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word and
Excel and the G-Suite including Gmail and Google
- Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures, including
business English, spelling and punctuation.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, complete work within given
deadlines, handle constant interruptions and adjust to shifting
- Working knowledge of the operation of various office
- Must be able to communicate effectively and appropriately,
orally and in writing to maintain harmonious working
- Demonstrated ability to pay attention to the minute details of
a project or task.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Ability to communicate in writing clearly and
- Ability to take care of the customers' needs while following
- Possess a positive, professional, and “can do”
- Takes initiative, self-motivated, and is proactive.
- Willingness to take on routine tasks concurrent with ability to
accept complete responsibility for projects.
- Ability to effectively interact with a wide variety of people
in a manner that positively portrays the University and its
programs, personnel and philosophy.
Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm. Will occasionally work alternate hours
during an event or a need of the President's Office.
Physical Demands & Working Conditions:
Typical work is performed indoors in a normal office environment.
May need to occasionally lift up to 10 lbs.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as
All University positions require that candidates submit to a
criminal conviction record check prior to hire. Conviction does not
automatically preclude candidates from being hired. Nature of
conviction will be considered relative to the duties of the
You will need to upload the following two documents as part of
your application materials in the "My Experience" section labeled
- Cover letter addressing the required/desired qualifications and
presenting any other applicant characteristics which deserve
- Current Resume
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Apply online at https://willamette.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/willametteuniversityjobs/job/Salem-Campus/Administrative-Office-Specialist_R0004577
Believing that diversity contributes to academic excellence and
to rich and rewarding communities, WU is committed to recruiting
and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. We seek
candidates, particularly those from historically under-represented
groups, whose work furthers diversity and who bring to campus
varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.