Dean of the College of Professional Studies
- Bowie State University
- Maryland, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Aug 24, 2022
Job Posting Information
Job Posting Number
Dean of the College of Professional Studies
Regular or Contingent II
Desired Start Date
$160,000 - $170,000
Open Until Filled
Duties and Responsibilities
PURPOSE : Bowie State University ( BSU ) in Bowie, Maryland, seeks an experienced, visionary, and creative leader to serve as the next Dean for the College of Professional Studies. The College of Professional Studies is where students learn how to prepare for a life of service, leadership, and professional practice in a technologically advanced global community.
The College of Professional Studies is comprised of five departments: Behavioral Sciences and Human Services (Child and Adolescent Studies and Sociology), Criminal Justice, Nursing ( ACEN accredited), Psychology, and Social Work ( CSWE accredited). Bachelor’s degrees are offered in each department, with a master’s degree in nursing ( MSN ). The College of Professional Studies currently has the second-largest enrollment of the four BSU colleges with more than 1,600 students and seeks to grow considerably.
The Dean is the chief academic leader of the College. Reporting to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean is expected to work collaboratively with the Deans of the other three colleges (Arts and Sciences, Business, and Education) as well as the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies and the Dean of the Libraries. The Dean must be an experienced academic leader with a track record of working collegially and creatively with talented faculty in developing effective programs for students who come to Bowie State University across a range of preparatory backgrounds, professional work experiences, and personal life challenges. The Dean will be an effective external leader in building programmatic partnerships with governmental agencies, schools, associations, and corporations at the local, regional, national, and global levels for student recruitment, internships, and employment pathways. The Dean must be a strategic thinker who can work with faculty, students, partners, and the University leadership to develop new programs or enhance existing programs and delivery systems to keep pace with contemporary expectations for professional education. The ideal candidate must have a good understanding of academic organization and processes, able to support and direct faculty and staff in academic advising, program assessment, accreditation activities, student success strategies, faculty recruiting, professional development grant writing, and scholarship.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as the chief administrator of the College of Professional Studies.
- Acts as an advocate for the College of Professional Studies on the Deans’ Council and any other committee or task force deemed appropriate by the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Leads the College in the development and implementation of a strategic plan.
- Assists department chairs in matters related to personnel.
- Acts on recommendations related to promotion and tenure in accordance with the Appointment, Rank and Tenure policy in the Faculty Handbook.
- Facilitates new program ideation and curriculum development in the College and in collaboration among colleges.
- Facilitates scholarly activities and professional development of faculty in the College.
- Assures all relevant reports for regional, USM, MSCHE, and specialized accreditation are supported and/or submitted.
- Supports and facilitates the function of specialized centers and programming with relevance to the College of Professional Studies.
- Fosters academic excellence by advancing curricular and co-curricular development in accord with the needs of students.
- Fulfills all other responsibilities assigned by the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, including those unique to the nature of the College of Professional Studies.
The successful candidate will hold an earned doctorate in one of the major disciplines in the College of Professional Studies.
Minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible managerial experience in higher education. Must possess exceptional leadership experience.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
Candidates should have evidence of outstanding abilities in oral and written communication, including professional presentations and publications to support this requirement.
Conditions of Employment
Must pass a Criminal Background Check.
Please be advised, COVID -19 vaccinations are encouraged but not required for faculty and staff to be employed at Bowie State University. This protocol is subject to change.
This position is Non-Union.
BSU offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 13 holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
For best consideration, please apply by September 26, 2022.
Posting Detail Information
Special Instructions to Applicant
Quick Link for Internal Postings
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have an earned doctorate in one of the disciplines
within the College of Professional Studies?
- * Do you have a minimum of five (5) years of progressively
responsible managerial experience in higher education?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Writing Sample
- Teaching Philosophy
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Other Document
- Letter of Reference 1
- Letter of Reference 2
- Letter of Reference 3
- Curriculum Vitae
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert