Financial/Accounting Operations & Infrastructure
- Lead UTS’s day-to-day accounting operations and supervise the general accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and bursar functions.
- Make sure that systems and procedures are in place to ensure that the accounting transactions, donor contributions, vendor payments, and employee wages are paid accurately, timely coded, and efficiently recorded in the General Ledger to facilitate the preparation of the Financial Statements.
- Prepare monthly and fiscal year-end financial closes.
- Prepare/review reconciliations monthly to include, but not limited to, bank accounts, investment accounts, and all balance sheet accounts, making journal entries as needed.
- Track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and the appropriate accounting for UTS endowment and investments.
- Establish and maintain internal controls to ensure compliance with all GAAP, regulatory, and funding requirements.
- Oversee and recommend updates to internal policies, procedures, and systems and maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
- Coordinate and oversee the annual audit.
Analysis & Reporting
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate internal and external reports and financial statements monthly, quarterly, and annually; monitor progress toward plans and keep senior leadership abreast of UTS’s financial status and issue monthly reports to departmental managers.
- Develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism and oversee cash accounting, including bank reconciliations, cash management, and routine cash flow needs.
- Coordinate and oversee revenue recognition and cash receipt process with the Development Department.
- Assist the CFO and UTS leadership in support of the annual budgeting and planning process; review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
- Support the CFO in engaging the board’s audit and finance committees around financial and accounting issues and trends.
- Leverage strengths of the current finance team members, help to clarify roles and responsibilities, and develop and implement training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals.
- Ensure financial tools are operationalized in such a way to highlight meaningful insights and guide short- and long-term decision-making, including revenue forecasting and programming decisions.
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for a leader with seven to ten years of accounting and finance experience, ideally beginning in accounting and audit, followed by experience gathering, evaluating, presenting, and reporting financial information to executive teams and board members. The candidate will ideally have experience in a nonprofit and higher education environment with multiple programs.
Specific requirements include:
- Minimum of a BA; CPA and/or MBA preferred.
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments.
- Technology savvy and an advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software with experience in the selection and installation of finance and accounting systems.
- Keen analytic, organization, and problem-solving skills, which allows for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting.
- Confident, results-oriented self-starter with time management skills. Flexibility and the ability to manage multiple ongoing projects
- Strong interpersonal skills with excellent oral and written communications.
Commitment to recruiting, mentoring, training, and retaining a diverse team; the foresight and ability to delegate accordingly.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to UTS’s mission; a proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who, in partnership with the CFO, will be an integral part of providing fiscal management and oversight for UTS