Upward Bound AY 2223 Richmond Tutor
About the Opportunity
During the school year Mills College Upward Bound offers an
intensive but supportive after school program for our students.
Tutors employment begins in September 2022 and goes through May
2023. Primary responsibilities for tutors are to work with Upward
Bound high school students during weekday afternoon tutorial to
support in various high school subjects.
Tutors establish and maintain effective and positive relationships
in a diverse and multicultural environment. Tutors communicate/work
effectively with high school students who bring a range of
educational backgrounds as well as a variety of learning styles.
Tutors will work closely with the Associate Director and the
Academic Advisors regarding students' progress and needs.
- Strong knowledge of English, History, Biology, Chemistry,
Physics, Algebra I & II, pre-Calculus, Calculus AB/BC,
Mandarin, Spanish, and/or French.
- Experience mentoring, tutoring and/or teaching low-income,
first-generation college-bound students.
- Skills and knowledge to effectively work with students with
diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic
- Have completed at least sophomore year in college or
- Be in good academic standing at college or university
attending (3.0 and above) or has recently graduated.
- Be able to exhibit strong customer service orientation for
all constituencies and members of the public.
- Be able to take appropriate steps to promote and sustain
effective working relationships within a diverse multicultural
- Be able to work safely in compliance with the College Injury
and Illness Prevention Plan.
- Knowledge of the Mills College Upward Bound Program's
mission and vision.
- Knowledge of child/adolescent cognitive development and
different learning styles.
- Be able to attend the academic staff training that will take
place in early September (exact dates TBD).
- Enforce Upward Bound Program rules and
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking
to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and
staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its
forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect
that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, religion,
color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability
status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and
support of diversity and inclusion, please see
To apply, visit https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Oakland-CA/Upward-Bound-AY-22-23-Richmond-Tutor_R108230