Reporting to the Chief Development, the Associate Director of Institutional Funding is responsible for identifying and developing strategies for new and current major foundation and corporation donors and prospects, and government funding. The Associate Director will support the management of strategic relationships with Trustees, Faculty, senior staff, and program officers at funding institutions, where appropriate, to facilitate identification and implementation of these strategies.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Strategic Initiatives and Institutional Funding (70%)
- Responsible to design, implement, and manage a comprehensive, proactive development plan focused on expanding and enhancing institutional relationships, through traditional and alternative avenues.
- Work with Faculty and staff to match funding needs to corporate and foundation funding programs via traditional avenues; manage proposal development and solicitation process.
- Work with Schools and Director’s Office to ensure that all named funding sources are assigned to Members and included in annual directory of Faculty and Members. Develop and implement annual stewardship plan for donors of named Professorships and Memberships and other endowment funds.
- Identify and conceptualize internal fundraising opportunities, including identifying and cataloging needs, and working with Schools, Faculty and Administrative Officers to address these needs.
- Coordinate foundation and corporate site visits.
- Monitor status of all active grants, including renewals for funding.
- Participate as needed in Institute events.
- Handle special projects as needed.
Establishment of Fundraising Priorities (20%)
- In coordination with the Chief Development Officer, establish fundraising priorities.
- With Communications, develop case materials.
All other duties as assigned by the Associate Director, Development Communications (10%)
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent organizational, written, verbal, presentation and interpersonal skills, and the ability to manage deadlines and multiple projects simultaneously required.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects with flexibility and detail orientation. Able to prioritize, work under pressure, and meet short deadlines.
- Strong knowledge of and ability to use computer technology to efficiently accomplish work, using e-mail, the Internet, database management software, and Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Knowledge of Raiser's Edge a plus.
- Maintain a high degree of confidentiality in all matters related to the Director’s office, the Institute’s development and public affairs program, the Board of Trustees, and all matters requiring sensitivity and discretion.
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Five or more years of relevant experience required.
- Prior fundraising experience with a focus on foundations, corporations and/or government grants required.
- Experience in an educational or research institution a plus. Experience with individual donors and/or planned gifts a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work productively as a team member required.
Please note that proof of both COVID-19 vaccination and booster are required to work at the Institute.
Individuals are eligible to request an accommodation based on a medical exemption or profession of sincerely-held religious beliefs.
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package which includes subsidized health and dental insurance, an excellent retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program. Interested candidates please apply to the position at: https://ias.synchr-recruit.com/job/481256/associate-director-of-institutional-giving