VIRGINIA HIGHLANDS COMMUNITY COLLEGE
Position: Dean of Health Programs
Position Number: 296FA045
Virginia Highlands Community College serves our community by providing quality and affordable education, training, and cultural activities through an array of flexible, diverse programs that enable community members to succeed today and in the future.
The faculty, staff, and stakeholders of Virginia Highlands Community College (VHCC) enjoy the privilege of serving the citizens of the commonwealth who reside in Washington County, western Smyth County, and the city of Bristol, VA. One of 23 institutions in the Virginia Community College System (VCCS), VHCC is a beacon for educational opportunities, in view of Mt. Rogers and Whitetop Mountain at Exit 14 on Interstate 81 in Abingdon, VA. With a robust 54-year heritage, VHCC serves students in the service region through a Workforce Development Division, a Professional and Technical Studies Division, an Arts and Sciences Division, and a Nursing Division. VHCC awards credentials and continuing education courses as well as Associate of Applied Science degrees, Associate of Arts and Sciences degrees, certificates, and career studies certificates.
In light of these distinctive qualities, VHCC is seeking a full-time Dean of Health Programs to provide leadership and direction to meet the high health care employment demands of the College’s serve region. The dean will supervise the following programs: Emergency Medical Technology, Medical Assistant, Nurse Aide, Nursing (RN) Practical Nursing, and Radiography. The Dean reports directly to the Vice President of Instruction and Student Services.
A 12-month administrative faculty position. Available January 2, 2023. Rank and salary dependent on academic preparation, qualifications and experience. Reappointment based on performance evaluations and institutional needs. Selected applicant will be required to complete the Commonwealth’s Statement of Economic Interest.
- Provide professional leadership and supervision to faculty and other personnel within the division.
- Manage and promote all functions leading to the planning, promotion, development, implementation, assessment and ongoing delivery of health care programs.
- Coordinate with Student Services to implement the application processes for health programs.
- Manage student issues, complaints and dismissals from health care programs.
- Recruit, select, evaluate and supervise personnel.
- Prepare semester and annual workload reports to ensure faculty compensation is appropriate.
- Develop and maintain cooperative agreements and partnerships with health care agencies.
- Maintain current and pursue new clinical affiliation agreements.
- Represent the College at state and national meetings including Virginia Community College System (VCCS) leadership activities.
- Direct the preparation of reports for specialized accreditation agencies, including collection and evaluation of data for program evaluation and improvement.
- Prepare budget estimates for personnel, supplies, and equipment for the Division programs, in accordance with the standardized budget preparation procedures.
- Fulfill other functions as designated by the VHCC Vice President of Instruction and Student Services.
- Maintain program accreditation and approvals.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with students, faculty, staff and other stakeholders important to the college.
Required KSA’s & Required Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in a discipline related to the Division of Health Programs or Master’s degree and 18 graduate hours in a discipline relevant to the division.
- Evidence of quality teaching in a community college setting.
- Work experience in a field related to programs in the division.
- Demonstrated problem-solving ability with sound judgement within appropriate Academic Affairs and College policy parameters and accreditation standards.
- Proficient in oral and written communication in the English language.
- High level of discretion, ability to maintain high level of confidentiality, and work with restricted access data or information.
- Demonstrated knowledge of community college curricula, evidence-based instructional practices, and program evaluation.
- Knowledge of and ability to utilize administrative and instructional applications of information technology.
- Demonstrated skill in managing budget, equipment, and other institutional resources.
- Demonstrated understanding of and belief in the comprehensive mission of community colleges.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience work with health program accreditation requirements and regulations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with students, faculty & staff and other stakeholders important to the college.
- A letter of interest addressing qualifications for position, view of the community college administrator role and professional aspirations
- Completed Commonwealth of Virginia employment application online through the VCCS Career Portal at https://jobs.vccs.edu/postings/50995
- Names of three professional references with current addresses and telephone numbers
- Complete and legible set of unofficial transcripts
To be considered in the initial screening, ALL required application materials must be received by 11:59 pm EDT on September 18, 2022. This position will remain open until filled.
Applications will ONLY be accepted online through the Recruitment Management System. Resume, letter of interest, references and copies of ALL college transcripts must be attached to online application. Transcripts should be combined into one document and uploaded as one file. If you are having difficulty attaching documents, please call Human Resources at 276-739-2425. If the file size of the attached documents is too large, the system will not allow you to upload the documents. You will need to reduce the file size or reduce the resolution. It is the applicant’s sole responsibility to ensure that all required documentation is received. It is the applicant’s sole responsibility to ensure that all required documentation is received. Incomplete on-line applications or other materials submitted via e-mail, postal mail, fax or in-person will not be considered. Persons with disabilities requiring assistance should contact 276-739-2425.
If your transcripts are on file at VHCC as a current or former employee or if you need assistance, it is the applicant’s sole responsibility to contact the Human Resources Department by calling 276-739-2425 or emailing email@example.com to request your transcripts be added to your application packet.
Official transcripts are required before a contract will be issued. The job announcement may be accessed at www.vhcc.edu (click on About The College and Employment Opportunities). For questions about the on-line application process please call (276) 739-2425.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Documents verifying identity and eligibility to work in the United States must be presented upon hire.
VHCC participates in E-Verify.
Selected applicant will be subject to a background check.
Selected applicant will be required to complete the Commonwealth’s Statement of Economic Interest.
An Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer