The primary responsibility of the Instructional Designer (ID) is to
manage projects involving competency-based face-to-face, and
synchronous HyFlex course design and development for Associate
degrees and certificates. In addition, the ID manages the design
and development of both credit and non-credit micro-credentials for
the Technical Institute for Environmental Professions (TIEP) at
Unity College. To accomplish the this, the ID will:
POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS
- Collaborate with the Dean of TIEP, subject-matter experts, and
faculty to research and design competency-based curriculum
- Design, develop, edit, and evaluate curricular materials using
the appropriate learning design principles
- Collaborate with the dean to build and document
competency-based curriculum design, development, and modification
- Create measurable competency statements and outcomes at the
course and program level
- Consult with faculty on pedagogical issues and assist in
faculty development on issues unique to competency-based
- Collaborate with subject matter experts, faculty, and the Dean
to build authentic formative and summative assessments including
pre-assessments, criterion assessments, and benchmark
- Evaluate and document, on a regular schedule, the effectiveness
of all assessments
- Analyze and synthesize data to inform the effectiveness of
- Build competency maps and alignments for each program
- Participate in a process of continuous evaluation of course and
learning effectiveness using data as a guide
Learning Design Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively with TIEP Dean, faculty, and subject
matter experts (SMEs) to design and develop high quality,
innovative, competency-based face-to-face and online programs to
include courses, certificates, and micro-credentials.
- Serve as a faculty resource for the D2L Brightspace Learning
Management System (LMS).
- Use principles of universal design to design engaging,
meaningful experiences for learners in a HyFlex classroom.
- Build standardized course template frameworks in the LMS that
meet Enterprise standards.
- Build a standard syllabus and schedule template that meets
- Work with the SMEs and the Dean to build competency maps for
- Work with SMEs and faculty to build workforce ready
- Build competency and assessment alignments.
- Work with SMEs and faculty to build authentic assessments for
- Build and integrate badges into each course/program.
- Design non-credit short-term micro-credentials.
- Work with the Executive Director of Student Life Cycle
Management and the Dean to design orientation modules for incoming
- Design and build learner support materials to support the
- Keeps current on best practices in CBE instructional
Professional Development Responsibilities
- Develop training materials on effective use of the available
teaching and learning technologies.
- Design and deliver workshops and trainings on pedagogy in a
Managing the Course Design Process and Quality Assurance in Course
- Build and maintain course design processes in a digital
- Build evaluations and improvements for courses and
- Ensure that all TIEP courses are designed to align with the
Quality Matters rubric and Enterprise requirements.
- Ensure that all competency-based programs align with C-BEN
- Project manage the design and development of all programs and
courses in TIEP to get all courses developed on schedule.
- Remain current and maintain a thorough understanding of the
latest industry technology tools and trends in online
UNITY COLLEGE INSTITUTIONAL RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Work with Information Technology and Instructional Technology
staff to develop new services and test new academic and learning
- Identify challenges and solutions during the course design
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates commitment to Unity Colleges core values and
serves as a role model for the Colleges standards of conduct.
- Contributes to the Colleges commitment to sustainability and
contributes to the Colleges commitment to support a diverse and
inclusive working and learning environment.
- Follows safety and infection control policies while assisting
with their enforcement.
- Assumes responsibility to maintain and upgrade professional
knowledge and skills with regulations, industry trends, current
practices, new developments, and applicable laws. In addition to
actively participating in Unity College Professional Development
days and Unity College required annual trainings.
- Demonstrates a high degree of commitment to customer service
and student success.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To be successful in this position you must be able to execute each
of the position specific responsibilities while meeting the
Additionally, the position specific education, skills and
competencies listed below are representative of the knowledge,
skill, and/or ability needed. Reasonable accommodations may be made
upon approval by the supervisor and Human Resources, to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
POSITION SPECIFIC EDUCATION, SKILLS AND COMPENTCIES:
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Knowledge of competency-based education design principles.
- Strong research, content analysis, and content preparation
- Experience in leading and managing multiple, complex projects,
and the ability to schedule, prioritize and meet varied deadlines
across these projects.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with strong
interpersonal and presentation skills, while working with diverse
content and populations.
- Proven ability to stay current with rapidly changing
- Ability and willingness to work with students from diverse
political/socioeconomic backgrounds and a wide range of physical
and academic abilities.
- Personal commitment to the environmental focus and mission of
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational
structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being
discreet, courteous and well poised.
WORK SCHEDULE / AVAILABILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Masters degree in Instructional Design, Education, or
- One year of experience working in a full-time instructional
design capacity, collaborating directly with faculty in online
curriculum building and course development.
- Experience developing non-traditional learning experiences and
- Experience with badging.
- Proven knowledge of instructional design strategies, along with
the current techniques, tools, and procedures used in the design,
development, and evaluation of technology-enhanced and online
courses and programs.
- Experience with graphic design and AV elements appropriate for
online instruction, especially using the Adobe Creative Cloud
- Experience in online classroom teaching or workshop
- Knowledge and understanding of Quality Matters, Online Learning
Consortium and similar online learning rubrics.
- Familiarity with Universal Design and other accessibility
principles to ensure course content is accessible to all
- Proven ability to work effectively and communicate with subject
matter experts, peers, users and media developers.
- Competence working within learning management systems, such as
- Familiarity with HTML and CSS.
Work hours are specific to the requirements of this position and
can include days, evenings, and weekends. Working extended hours
required as needed. Must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling
responsibilities and meeting the C olleges needs. Although Unity
College employees are generally scheduled to work at their
specifically assigned locations, there are times when travel is
necessary and employees are required from time to time to attend
events, meetings or work temporary assignment at any Unity College
While performing the duties of this job, it is regularly required
to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to
stand or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up
to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception,
and the ability to adjust focus. The use of either hand for
repetitive movements such as grasping, grasping and turning, and
fine manipulation is required as is the ability to use the
telephone for internal and external communications.
Work is performed mostly in an office setting. The noise level in
the work environment is normally moderate. Exposure to changes of
temperature or humidity 1-33% of the time.
POSITIONS AT UNITY COLLEGE ARE DEPENDENT ON THEIR VIABILITY AND
AN ESTABLISHED VIABILITY MATRIX. THE VIABILITY MATRIX FOR THIS
- This position remains viable:
- While maintaining a course portfolio 40-50 3 credit classes a
year (comprised of active and in-development credit bearing
- The Technical Institute for Environmental Professions remains
committed to competency-based education.
- The Technical Institute for Environmental Professions continues
to operate as an approved SEBU of Unity College with an annual net
operating revenue surplus.
- Unity College operates in an Enterprise model and the Technical
Institute for Environmental Professions SEBU exists.
- There continues to be enthusiastic support of the Enterprise