DEAN, SCHOOL OF HEALTH SCIENCES
Elon University is seeking an exceptional, relationship-centered Dean for the School of Health Sciences who will embrace and advance the University’s unique Teacher-Scholar model and achieve the health sciences related goals of Elon’s 2030 strategic plan. The Dean is the chief academic and administrative officer of the School of Health Sciences, reporting directly to the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs. A successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to support and promote a rigorous academic environment in which diversity is valued in all its forms and in all settings.
The School of Health Sciences has three academic departments (Nursing, Physician Assistant Studies, Physical Therapy Education) with over 30 full-time faculty and staff and approximately 350 graduate and undergraduate students. The School of Health Sciences currently offers six academic programs including: Doctor of Physical Therapy, Residency in Sports Physical Therapy, Master of Physician Assistant Studies, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing and the Undergraduate to Graduate Accelerated Pathways Program. The school also has several programs that support the mission of the School of Health Sciences, including the Anatomical Gift Program and the Interprofessional Simulation Center. Elon University’s commitment to developing and strengthening the School of Health Sciences is demonstrated in Boldly Elon.
Elon University is widely recognized as a leader in student engagement and experiential learning, distinguished by a strong foundation in the liberal arts and sciences. Elon is ranked among the top 100 National Universities by U.S. News & World Report, with #1 rankings for excellence in undergraduate teaching, study abroad and learning communities. It is also ranked in the top-10 for innovation. The university is located in central North Carolina, midway between North Carolina’s Triad and the Research Triangle. Elon’s historic 656-acre campus is designated as a botanical garden and has been cited as one of the nation’s most beautiful college campuses.
The university includes 455 full-time faculty members and 6,302 undergraduate and 825 graduate students from 46 states, the District of Columbia, and 49 other nations. The university has six academic units: Elon College, the College of Arts and Sciences; the School of Communications; the Dr. Jo Watts Williams School of Education; the Martha and Spencer Love School of Business; the School of Health Sciences; and the School of Law, which is in downtown Greensboro. Elon offers more than 70 undergraduate majors and nine graduate programs.
The successful candidate will have the following characteristics:
- Extensive experience as an educator, clinician and/or administrator in a healthcare field
- A terminal degree from an accredited institution of higher education, with eligibility for tenure and rank as full professor in the School of Health Sciences
- Demonstrated ability to articulate a vision and take steps necessary to actualize organizational goals
- Experience with personnel supervision and development, strategic planning, assessment and evaluation, and data-driven decision making
- Demonstrated knowledge in and commitment to promoting health equity
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion, equity and cultural humility
- Outstanding integrity, strong interpersonal skills, excellent communication skills, and exceptional leadership skills to lead the school in its continued pursuit of excellence through its graduate and undergraduate programs
Other desired experiences include:
- Demonstrated ability to form partnerships across the University and with local, regional, and national healthcare organizations
- Demonstrated ability to support accreditation for various health education programs
Review of candidates will begin on October 15, 2022, and will continue until a successful candidate is identified. Candidates should submit a curriculum vitae and letter of application to HealthSciDeanSearch@elon.edu . All correspondence should be sent to the above email addressed to the chair of the search committee, Dr. Ann Bullock.
Elon University is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff and student body and welcomes all applicants.