Assistant Director of University Band
- Florida Memorial University
- Florida, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Aug 19, 2022
A successful candidate will play an active role in FMU’s existing academic success to ensure students are provided with opportunities and services to help them succeed academically. The Assistant Director of Bands shall serve as second in command of the department and have the primary responsibility to work collaboratively with the Director of Bands in the daily administration of the University band program, the summer band camp, and special programming. Specific responsibilities include directing the Athletic Bands (marching band and pep band) of the Florida Memorial University band program, attending professional seminars/workshops, recruiting, and active involvement with the outreach efforts of public school band programs throughout the region. This customer-centric role is responsible to deliver service excellence support to meet the needs of our university community. Applicant must demonstrate the professionalism needed to handle sensitive and confidential matters.
Essential Functions: Under minimal supervision; manages the day-to-day office responsibilities to:
- Assist the Director of Bands (DOB) with the administration of the University Band Program
- Direct and oversee functions and operations of all Athletic Band units including Marching band, Pep Bands, Virtuoso Marching Ensemble, Auxiliary, and Drumline
- Oversee the coordination of all program components with the Director of Bands and Coordinator
- Assist DOB with the governance of personnel and student activities associated with the program
- Oversee activities related to costume design, uniformity, precision, showmanship, and technical preparation of the Drum Majors, and auxiliary of the "Roar" Marching Band
- Serve as the program liaison to the Athletics/Facilities/Administration as advised by DOB
- Assist DOB with recruitment and retention of quality band students and maintains a high profile in the local community and secondary schools in the area.
- Assist DOB in fostering an environment and culture that inspires students to grow and supports the educational focus and institutional objectives of the band program and university
- Create and establish the uniformity of innovative maneuvers and unique movements of the band
- Assist DOB to create and establish a strong sense of esprit de corps amongst student and staff
- Work collaboratively with staff and students to create innovative show concepts and designs
- Coordinate logistics and operations of program events, band camp, Roar Fests, and workshops in collaboration with directors.
- Facilitate the development of content and editing of the band staff & student operations handbooks
- Provide instructional feedback to students during full band and sectional rehearsals
- Attend staff meetings and maintain open and collaborative communication with fellow staff
- Additional duties may be required based on the needs of the band program as advised by DOB
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that logically relate to the position.
- Fundamental knowledge of band operations, policies, and procedures required.
- Supervisory skills and knowledge of music software and office applications are required.
- Ability to handle information of sensitive and confidential nature in the utmost professional manner. Demonstrate a high level of professionalism, initiative, resourcefulness, and personal accountability.
- Maintain the privacy and confidentiality of information, protect the assets of the institution, act ethically and with integrity, and adhere to FMU’s Code of Conduct and policies and procedures.
- Effective analytical and decision-making skills. Excellent communication (oral and written), organizational, and time management skills. Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse constituents.
- Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing environment is extremely important as well as dependability.
- Manage, prioritize, and accomplish multiple tasks/projects in a deadline-driven environment.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of average weight up to fifty (50) pounds or standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Note: In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA), those functions of the job which are identified essential are required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations. Requests to facilitate the performance of essential functions will be given careful consideration.
- The position requires a master’s degree or bachelor’s degree w/four (4) plus years of experience directly related to the duties/responsibilities specified. Higher education experience is preferred.
- Ability to perform complex tasks and prioritize multiple projects.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, and LinkedIn Learning, as well as knowledge and understanding of the organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures. Familiar with the Jenzabar technology suite for higher education.
- Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours, and ability to maintain a flexible work schedule that may include working nights and weekends.
- Pre-Employment screening is required: criminal background check and drug testing.
In addition to the completed application, candidates must submit a list of three professional references (at least one from a previous employer) that includes names and contact information. Review of application materials will begin ASAP and will continue until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Florida Memorial University is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert