Manitoba Municipal Relations
Manitoba Emergency Services College, Office of the Fire Commissioner
Advertisement Number: 39516
Salary Range: $81,667.00 - $100,996.00 per year
Closing Date: September 15, 2022
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
This competition may be used to establish an eligibility list to fill current and future regular and term full-time positions, subject to staffing approval. The eligibility list will remain in effect until exhausted.
The Office of the Fire Commissioner of the Department of Municipal Relations is currently recruiting a highly motivated and driven individual interested in shaping and influencing the landscape of Emergency Services in Manitoba and across Canada. Offering a diverse work environment, OFC programming offers services ranging from supporting communities in fire prevention and fire protection programming, delivering adult education through the Manitoba Emergency Services College and in coordinating and maintaining provincial response capabilities for the Province of Manitoba.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must provide and maintain a satisfactory Criminal Record Check with vulnerable sector search.
- Must be willing and able to work overtime, as required.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class 5 driver's license.
- Post secondary degree in Education, Masters preferred. An equivalent combination of education, training and directly related experience may be considered.
- Significant experience working in a leadership position in an educational/training environment.
- Extensive leadership experience empowering and engaging staff, leveraging opportunities for innovation, finding creative solutions to issues, and successfully managing change.
- Experience managing and developing programs/projects.
- Excellent written communication skills for preparing documents for executive decision-makers and various other audiences.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills for building and maintaining positive working relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Strong verbal communication skills for effectively communicating with various levels of audiences within the organization.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and decision making skills to formulate recommendations to senior leaders.
- Strong political acumen for navigating sensitive and confidential issues with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain a calm and collaborative focus during hectic periods.
- Ability to communicate in both official languages.
- Significant experience leading and maintaining educational programs through accreditation.
The Director is accountable for the provision of services offered through the Manitoba Emergency Services College (MESC), including a main campus and practical training site in Brandon, as well as a satellite site in Thompson. With a client-centered focus, the Director develops a strategic vision and operational model conducive to delivering adult education and training in a college-like framework. The Director is guided by the vision of the Fire Commissioner, the Department of Municipal Relations, central government, and the mandate outlined in the Fires Prevention and Emergency Responses Act.
This position is fully accountable for the day-to-day operations and administration of MESC, including, but not limited to the creation and implementation of appropriate academic policy and practices, administrative leadership, leadership of the supervisory staff, and ensuring appropriate student support mechanisms are in place. Delivering accessible quality training and supporting frameworks, achieving program accreditation and routine financial planning are also aspects of the role.
Advertisement No. 39516
Service Centre 2
Human Resource Services
360-1395 Ellice Avenue
Winnipeg, MB. R3G 3P2
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process.
When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions for represented positions may be grieved by internal represented applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.