Director, Career Services
- Joliet Junior College
- Illinois, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Aug 18, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Student Affairs, Academic Advising & Academic Support Services, Career Services, Counseling, Disabled Student Services, Student Activities & Services
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Director, Career Services
POSITION TITLE: Director, Career Services
STATUS: Full time
DEPARTMENT: Career Services Center
DIVISION: Student Development
REPORTS TO: Dean of Student Success
PLACEMENT: Professional, grade 13
MINIMUM PAY RATE: $79,480 annually
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity, gender, language, age and background. Joliet Junior College is an AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of its staff.
Provide leadership, supervision, and direction to the JJC Career Services Center and staff. Work collaboratively with the faculty, staff, students and JJC district residents to address the immediate and long-term career development needs of JJC students and alumni. Collaboratively provide a career exploration lens for new students through the First Year Experience process. This includes conceptualizing, developing and delivering innovative services, effectively assessing services and accommodations, as well as strategically reporting data that indicate student engagement, development, and success outcomes, which are consistent with the college’s mission, vision, and priorities.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provide leadership to the Career Services Center and facilitate short and long-range planning, guided academic pathway program development through the First Year Experience pedagogy, and assessment that supports student success outcomes; align program initiatives with strategic goals and outcomes of the college.
2. Actively collaborate with Student Advising Center to assist with the onboarding of new undecided students; and, provide ongoing training for staff to facilitate career informed coaching and advising that will result in the identification of an academic and career pathway.
3. Supervise and evaluate full-time and part-time staff members; oversee staff members who provide career exploration, guided academic pathway academic coaching, student employment and internships.
4. Establish and cultivate internal and external partnerships to provide innovative experiential learning opportunities (internships, externships, job shadowing, informational interviewing opportunities, etc.) that support guided academic pathways; professional aspirations; or, exploration of field of study or career path.
5. Actively participate in organizations (e.g. CCCI, NACE, NCDA, etc.) and professional development activities to enhance programs and activities which align with the Career Services Center’s priorities and the JJC mission, strategic goals, and objectives.
6. Provide up-to-date resource materials and service platforms (e.g. career research databases and resources, synchronous and asynchronous virtual services, coaching and programs) and, assure accessibility of career development resources for students attending all JJC campuses, as well as to alumni of the college.
7. Provides career-advising expertise to students and alumni regarding the job-search process, interviewing, resume, and letter writing, and all other facets of career planning. Conducts workshops, seminars, and other presentations to student, faculty, employer, and alumni groups.
8. Constantly monitors, analyzes, and evaluates current scope of services offered through career services and plans, implements, and directs new programs under the supervision of the dean of student development and services and in coordination with other directors of student services and student activities efforts.
9. Market the Career Services Center’s programs and services to students, employers, faculty, and district residents; engage in and promote innovative uses of technology to market and deliver programs and services. Solicit and analyze student and alumni/community evaluations to assess program outcomes and alignment with institutional goals.
10. Analyze and distribute usage and learning outcomes data generated by the Career Services Center; prepare regular reports (monthly and annually) related to programs, services, accomplishments and concern.
11. Provide career-advising expertise to students and alumni regarding the job-search process, interviewing, resume, and letter writing, and all other facets of career planning. Conducts workshops, seminars, and other presentations to student, faculty, employer, and alumni groups.
12. Perform related duties as assigned.
1. Master’s Degree in Human Resources, Higher Education, Counseling, or a related field with experience in higher education and training in administering career assessments.
2. Five (5) years of experience in higher education.
3. Three (3) years of experience in Career Services.
4. Strong personal computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
5. Excellent presentation, interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
6. Knowledge of student development learning outcomes and assessment processes.
7. Ability to relate effectively with students, college personnel, and the public.
8. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with other members of the college and community, displaying cultural competence as well as emotional intelligence.
9. Demonstrated commitment to the college’s core values of respect and inclusion, sustainability, integrity, collaboration, humor and well-being, innovation and quality.
1. Familiarity with social media platforms.
2. English and Spanish verbal and written communication proficiency.
3. Demonstrated multicultural competence.
1. Normal office physical demands.
2. Ability to travel between campus locations and to and from community events.
3. Ability to travel in state and nationally.
1. Duties are performed indoors in the usual office and/or outdoor environment.
PLEASE INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING ITEMS WITH YOUR APPLICATION:
• A cover letter with your interest in being considered for the position.
• Unofficial Transcripts (must be included)
Full Time/Part Time:
Union (If Applicable):
For more information, click the "How to Apply" button.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert