Reporting Directly to the Vice President for Research and Economic Engagement, the Senior Director oversees all of BGSU’s research compliance related operations and research compliance staff, including (but not limited to) ensuring compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations and university policies related to human subjects research, laboratory animal research, controlled substances, biosafety, research conflicts of interest and commitment, responsible conduct of research, ethical conduct of research, research integrity, foreign influence on research, and export controls. The Senior Director is responsible for overseeing all relevant reporting, including but not limited to, external agencies that regulate human subjects research, biosafety research, and the care and use of animals in research. The Senior Director is also responsible for aiding with matters of research misconduct. The Senior Director is also responsible for developing a training program and monitoring metrics to evaluate and assess the effectiveness of all aspects of research compliance operations, programs, and interventions. The Senior Director is also charged with establishing effective working relationships with faculty, staff, and students to promote a culture of compliance and fielding all concerns regarding human subjects research, biosafety, and the care and use of animals in research.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
- Oversees all BGSU’s research compliance-related operations and communications for the institutional review, committed to ensure protection of human subjects per university policy 3341-7-07, protection of animals per university policy 3341-7-09, proper use and storage of controlled substances in research per university policy 3341-7-09, and compliance with federal export control laws and biosafety guidelines. Ensures all related federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and policies are being followed, monitors regulatory updates to maintain awareness of current developments, and oversees transmission of information regarding federal, state, and local policy changes to research faculty, staff, and students in a timely manner. Ensures all proper documentation is retained and all reports and assurances are being submitted. Responsible for establishing, maintaining and implementing all university policies and procedures related to research compliance, export control compliance, use of controlled substances in research, monitoring foreign influence on research/federal funding, research related risk management, including biosafety, radiation safety, animal safety, and human subjects, and managing conflicts of interest in research. Fields all concerns regarding human subjects research, biosafety, and the care and use of animals
- Oversees all areas of research compliance, including responsible conduct of research training as required by federal funding agencies and the maintenance of records and reporting of completion of training when applicable, the monitoring and management of all research related conflicts, including conflicts of interest and commitment and financial conflicts of interest, and is responsible for establishing conflict of interest management plans. Develop, administer, and manage a research training program and preparation of various education and training materials on timely compliance topics, including research safety, research integrity, research ethics and research misconduct, export control laws, and various other modules, for all faculty, staff, and students performing research with human subjects, vertebrate animals, recombinant DNA, biohazardous materials, or controlled exports.
- Oversees all business operations and administrative functions of the Office of Research Compliance; manages all office personnel and operations. Maintains schedules, databases, and web sites, manages office budget, and serves as approver for office purchases. Directs and guides the team responsible for compliance-related research operations and directly supervises and delegates to the Research Compliance Officer.
- Manages research data and regulated data security compliance. Oversees the creation and management of security requirement minimums and establishing campus processes and procedures for data inventory and security. Assisting faculty with self-identifying risk categories for data and manages the implementation and monitoring of technology control plans.
- Assists the Office of Sponsored Programs and Research (OSPR), the Office of Technology Transfer & Services (OTTS), and the Office of General Counsel (OGC) in federal and industrial contract negotiations involving university research to ensure compliance with federal and state laws and university policies. Facilitates collaborations with other offices and entities across the university Interacts with campus community and external constituencies, including federal agencies and collaborates with University Risk Management, Environmental Health and Safety, OSPR, OTTS, OGC, and Human Resources.
- Manages the monitoring of programmatic and financial activities of grant subrecipients. Completes risk assessments on new subrecipient organizations and conducts annual assessments on active subrecipient organizations. Manages oversight of post award sponsored research administration and services such as effort reporting, cost analysis, and training. Proactively evaluates post award research administration and identifies risks, solutions, and str
- Member of the VPREE Senior Leadership team. Assists the VRPEE with reviewing allegations of research misconduct and provides assistance in coordinating investigations. Conducts, monitors, and coordinates other special projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Previous experience in academic research activities and considerable administrative acumen in a higher education environment
- Comprehensive knowledge and current subject matter expertise of federal, state and local policies, procedures, and regulations relating to human subjects research, animals used in research, controlled exports, biosafety research and other applicable research compliance regulations.
- Experience with developing and administering research related training programs
- Experience interacting with federal regulatory agencies
- Communication and written skills and current knowledge of multi-platform software and both PC and Mac computer environments.
Master’s degree required. Master’s degree in Life Sciences, Social Sciences, Research Administration or related field preferred. Degree must be conferred at the time of application.
The following experience is required:
- 5 years in research administration or research compliance administration
- 3 years supervisory experience
- 2 years in developing and maintaining electronic information systems, data bases, and/or websites
Full-time, Administrative staff position available. Administrative Grade Level 360. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Full benefit package available.
Bowling Green State University provides a comprehensive benefit program as part of a total compensation package. This includes medical, prescription, dental, vision, health accounts (medical & dependent), life & disability insurance, retirement plans, employee assistance program and tuition fee waivers for employees and their eligible dependents as well as paid time off, holidays and parental leave. For more information please visit Benefits-at-a-Glance.pdf (bgsu.edu)
Deadline to apply: The search committee will review applications until the position is filled; however, for best consideration, applications should be provided by August 25, 2022.
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit https://bgsu.hiretouch.com/ or contact the Office of Human Resources at (419) 372-8421. BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421.