Manager Marketing and Communication
Arizona State University
Strategic Marketing and Comms
As the human population grows and globalizes, so do the challenges we face — from the deep blue to deep space, from pandemics to political unrest, supply chain operations to climate change. Solving these challenges demands the creativity and commitment of many minds with diverse expertise and backgrounds. Arizona State University connects those minds in an ecosystem where creative innovative ideas thrive. We believe a research university is a knowledge enterprise — our business is creating and sharing discoveries and new knowledge that provide value to our communities. This belief fuels everything we do.
ASU is one of the fastest-growing research enterprises in the United States, more than doubling its research expenditures over the last 10 years. The university continually climbs in rankings from the National Science Foundation Higher Education Research and development (HERD) Survey, which measures research expenditures across disciplines and funding sources. ASU currently ranks #6 in the U.S. for total research expenditures among institutions without a medical school. Additionally, ASU is a leader in bringing innovations to market, ranking #11 among universities worldwide for U.S. patents issued.
ASU’s Knowledge Enterprise (KE) seeks a Marketing Manager to work on ASU’s Knowledge Enterprise portfolio. As the ideal candidate, you will be an organized, dynamic, strategic and motivated project manager and doer, successfully managing multiple projects at once with quality and with speed, and with the vision to advance the strategic goals for ASU’s Knowledge Enterprise units and initiatives who are our clients.
You should have at least seven years of experience managing and executing projects containing brand, portfolio and project management, website content management, social media strategy, marketing, and prior experience working with clients and an advertising agency. Working with multiple teams and units across the university, you should have excellent collaboration skills managing within a matrix-type environment to create strategic marketing plans and ROI-based programs. Excellent writing and organizational skills and a positive team attitude are a must.
As the Marketing Manager, you will be reporting to the Executive Director of Strategic Marketing and Communications. Your primary responsibility will be to plan, coordinate and oversee marketing communication initiatives for the Knowledge Enterprise units and initiative brands, programs, services, executive reporting, and events to effectively market and disseminate information, and promote Knowledge Enterprise activities.
$62,400 – $96,000 per year, DOE
- Meet with clients. Present creative work to clients. Lead brainstorming sessions.
- Act as a liaison between the KE creative teams and clients.
- Account manage multiple client projects in parallel in a fast-paced environment.
- Anticipate and identify strategic needs to meet Knowledge Enterprise's strategic goals
- Work closely with the KE Marketing team, ASU media relations, ASU Brand Team, ASU Knowledge Enterprise units, and initiatives to create content-specific materials to further advance enterprise goals. Projects may include but are not limited to: websites, digital newsletters, campaigns, and various printed materials.
- Utilize strategic marketing and promotion plans for all programs, services, and events.
- Ability to review and take advantage of feedback, analytics, and reporting to maximize marketing projects and activities.
- Manage and guide social media strategies, as necessary.
- Lead marketing meetings to successfully execute portfolio goals, strategies, and tactics. Comfortable speaking with and presenting to senior-level executives.
- Work with relevant ASU colleagues and the KE Marketing events team to coordinate the production and delivery of marketing requirements to support the promotion of events, programs, and initiatives.
- Develop and manage executive reports and newsletters including, but not limited to: writing, editing, formatting, and distributing by multiple channels using various applications such as: Email, Salesforce, Google docs, MS Teams, Slack, etc.
- Manage weekly marketing project status reports to the Director and Executive Director.
- Create and review presentations and manage an up-to-date database of all presentations (PowerPoint, Google Slides, etc.).
- Provide client reporting that demonstrates the enterprise impact of marketing programs and activities as it relates to their business goals.
- Work with KE Marketing to formulate marketing strategies, prepare communications utilizing strategic messaging and delivery methods designed specifically for the recipient audience.
Bachelor's degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing or closely related field AND five (5) years of experience in a public relations/marketing role; OR, Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience in PR, social media, marketing, brand and project management and prior experience with an advertising agency. (7 years).
- Knowledge of the principles of exemplary customer service demonstrated through actively listening, taking ownership, and resolving concerns or problems as appropriate.
- Ability to present to C-level management the impact of marketing programs and activities as it relates to their business goals.
- Experience creating strategic marketing plans that include audiences, and key performance indicators to measure the return on investment.
- Experience in work that requires being detail-oriented, organized, proactive and comfortable multi-tasking to produce effective marketing on sometimes tight deadlines.
- Experienced with crafting marketing briefs and working with creative production teams.
- Experience in thinking strategically, and executing effectively and efficiently within an agile and fast-paced environment.
- Experience in problem-solving and decision-making.
- Experience in planning, analyzing, coordinating activities, and establishing priorities.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining strong matrixed working relationships.
- Evidence in effective written and verbal communication.
- Comfortable working in an environment subject to changing priorities and potentially conflicting deadlines.
- Experience in customer service methods and practices.
ASU is a diverse enterprise with a wide variety of work and learning modes, locations, and a commitment to sustainability, innovation, and employee work-life balance. We are determined to maintain our position as an employer of choice in a competitive labor market, as such the following options may be offered dependent on department needs:
Flexible work options
- Alternative work schedules can include four, 10-hour workdays in a workweek; a nine-day, 80-hour schedule over two workweeks for exempt employees only; and staggered start and stop times.
- Hybrid work is an arrangement where employees spend a minimum of 60% of their regular workweek at their primary ASU work location. Dean or vice president-level approval is required.
- Remote work is an arrangement where the employee spends less than 60% of their regular workweek at a regularly assigned ASU work location. Executive vice president-level approval is required.
Standard Working Environment:
- Climate-controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting.
- Visual acuity and manual dexterity associated with daily use of desktop computer;
- Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential duties.
- Expected to be responsive to customers, engaged in work production, resourceful, flexible, and respectful of others.
For the seventh year in a row, ASU has been named the most innovative school in the nation, recognizing the university's culture of groundbreaking research and partnerships, as well as its commitment to helping students thrive in college and beyond. U.S. News and World Report has named ASU as the most innovative university all seven years the category has existed.
ASU Knowledge Enterprise advances research, innovation, strategic partnerships, entrepreneurship, and international development. Our success arises from solutions-focused, interdisciplinary research; an entrepreneurial approach that is embedded in every school and department; and a commitment to transform society in a positive way. To learn more about how Knowledge Enterprise is a place for your career to grow, visit https://research.asu.edu/about-us/careers.
Working at ASU has additional perks and OUTSTANDING benefits, which include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; sick leave and holidays; ASU/UA/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to ASU recreation and cultural activities; and more. To estimate the value of your total compensation, please visit https://cfo.asu.edu/compensation-estimator.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
To apply please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs/ see Req Id# 82905BR