at the University of Colorado Boulder
encourages applications for an Assistant Director of Support
! This role will lead an interdisciplinary team of
staff to support the clinical operations and patient care provided
to students and affiliates on the CU Boulder campus. This position
reports to the Senior Director of Medical Services (MS) and is
responsible for the clinical oversight and supervision for clinic
operations and support staff, including Medical Assistants (MA's),
Clinical Laboratory Manager, and Radiology Manager.
As a key leader, this role closely collaborates with all of the
Medical Services Directors, the Administrative Services Directors,
and staff to serve our patient population’s medical needs.
Continuously assess, research, develop, and improve upon the
services our healthcare team provides in response to the changing
needs and trends of students, the Division of Health and Wellness,
Medical Services and the University. This Assistant Director will
directly supervise, develop and evaluate the Lead Medical Assistant
Coordinators, and the Managers of the Radiology and Clinical
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
staff understand and are committed to the
unique health concerns of our student population, making us an
unparalleled source of advocacy for student wellness! The Medical
Clinic provides a wide range of health care services for students
including: primary care for illnesses and injuries, as well as
chronic conditions, physicals, sexually transmitted infection
testing and treatment, allergy shots, vaccinations, travel health
care, and concussion care.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Management and Program Development
- Directs the support services teams to ensure adherence to
department policies, procedures, guidelines, and productivity
- Oversight of quality of care. Monitors and ensures that quality
health care is provided to patients, applying professional medical
and nursing standards, adherence to standing orders, clinic
guidelines and accrediting agency specifications. Ensures the
quality of care provided by support staff through oversight of the
competency assessment program. Participates and provides leadership
in ongoing Quality Improvement projects.
- Collaborates with Administrative Services staff, the Manager of
Behavioral Health and the Associate Director of MS to integrate
providers, RNs and MA's and Patient Access Administrative staff
into a cohesive outpatient service-focused unit.
- Provides leadership related to developments involving EMR,
ICD10/11, coding and billing and clinic service integration.
- Continuously assesses, develops and improves support services
and programs within the department, evaluates standard of care
benchmarks and measurable outcomes applied in similar health care
institutions and those mandated by the accrediting agency, and
applies “standard methodologies” and innovative ways to the clinic
setting. In collaboration with support services lead team, Director
and Medical Director, develops policies, procedures/guidelines for
nursing, MA's, lab as well as radiology.
- Is responsible for support staff staffing and scheduling to
ensure appropriate coverage and support for providers. Ensures
appropriate staffing, including for peak patient periods (e.g. flu
season), staff absences or administrative education commitments by
coordinating with the Assistant Director of Nursing & Infection
Prevention and the lead MA coordinators, Lab and Radiology mangers,
and the Associate Director.
- Develops support staff leadership team by promoting and
ensuring participation in supervisory leadership training
opportunities, career development and collective leadership.
Provides supervision and annual performance evaluations.
- Leads the MA's, Lab and Radiology competency assessment
programs to ensure the quality of the services. Based upon
competency data, determines training and educational needs for the
support staff to practice at the top of their licenses to improve
patient care and enhance career development.
- Prepares job descriptions, recruits and hires quality support
staff for the department with an emphasis on promoting an
inclusive, diverse work environment. Conducts planning, coaching
and review sessions. Organizes and leads the development and
implementation of an orientation program for all new staff.
- Serves on the leadership team of MS, and represents the
department in other clinical-related
- Aligns MS department interests and resources with the division
and organizational goals.
- Provides direct patient medical care to students.
- Participates in peer review.
What You Should Know
- Serves on appropriate organization committees or appoints
participating members to collaborate with staff from Administrative
Services, Health & Wellness, Clinic Operations, Integrated
Care, and Athletics.
What We Can Offer
- This position will be primarily on-site with the option to work
some days per month remotely.
- All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to
follow the campus COVID-19 vaccine
- New employees are responsible for providing proof of
vaccination or receiving a medical or religious exemption within 30
days of employment.
- The salary range for this position is $87,000 - $109,000
- Onboarding assistance is available within Student Affairs
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be collaborative. Be visionary. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- Registered Nurse or Advanced Nurse Practitioner with the State
of Colorado by date of hire.
- If Advanced Nurse Practitioner, national certification as an
Advanced Practice Nurse.
- If Advanced Nurse Practitioner, prescriptive authority in the
State of Colorado.
- 8 years of experience as an RN in a clinical setting or 5 years
of experience as an Advanced Nurse Practitioner in a clinical
- 2 years of supervisory experience in a medical field.
- Current BLS Certification by date of hire.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Exceptional leadership skills, including implementing
measurable changes and aligning outcomes to strategy and
- Effective mediation skills, creative decision-making and
- Patient-centered approach.
- Flexibility, organizational change skills, continual
improvement and initiative.
- Fiscal management and responsibility.
- Collaboration, organizational communication and partnering
- Dedication to diversity and inclusivity.
- Digital literacy including proficiency with Windows-based
- Experience working in a primary care or ambulatory care
- Experience working with Medical Assistants and ancillary
- Clinical knowledge of health concerns for college-aged patient
- Experience with RFP process, and business contract review.
- Familiarity with CLIA standards.
- Some knowledge or experience working with accreditation
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background
and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and
responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by August 30, 2022
: Application materials will not be accepted via
email. For consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: