Chief Advancement Officer, WAMU (18210)
- American University
- District of Columbia, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Aug 17, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Development & Advancement, Public Relations & Marketing (Campus), Alumni Affairs, Executive, Executive Directors, Other Executive
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Get to Know American University
At American University we value open and honest inquiry, servant leadership, and the affirmation of the human dignity of all. We envision a thriving AU community where individuals of all identities and experiences are understood, appreciated, and fully included, and where equitable treatment, opportunities, and outcomes prevail.
Our diverse community of students, faculty, and staff represent every state and more than 150 countries. Our internationally recognized faculty are today's thought leaders in the areas of public policy, law, the arts, communications, international development, and more. Our staff are innovative, service-oriented, and dedicated to moving the university towards achieving its strategic goals. We are committed to an excellent experience for all of our students, faculty and staff and share a passion for creating change through our knowledge and our work.
Learn more about American University by clicking here .
About the Department/Unit
WAMU 88.5 is the leading public radio station for NPR news and information in the greater Washington D.C. area.
WAMU is member-supported, professionally-staffed, and licensed to American University . Since 1961, WAMU 88.5 has provided programming to an audience of listeners that now totals almost 1 million listeners on-air, online, and on demand.
Deeply committed to the D.C. metro area, WAMU 88.5 produces regular and special programming that reflects the unique environment of our region.
The Chief Advancement Officer- (CAO) will serve as WAMU’s senior fundraising expert, managing all aspects of the revenue cycle, including marketing, communications, membership, development, sponsorship and donor relations. The CAO is a dynamic, ambitious, and collaborative leader who will lead a team of professionals responsible for growing and engaging WAMU’s audience and revenue, by continuing to build and enhance a consistent, inspiring brand identity that raises the profile, prominence, and value of WAMU regionally and nationally. The CAO will report directly to the General Manager and manage a comprehensive philanthropic revenue program that includes a membership program with more than 70,000 active donors; major, planned, and institutional giving; as well as an outsourced sponsorship team of B-to-B professionals. This is key member of WAMU’s executive team, and working with stakeholders across the organization, the CAO will be responsible for developing and implementing a revenue strategy that leverages the organization’s marketing, communications and fundraising efforts to drive sustainable growth.
- Strategy Planning and Management: Creates comprehensive annual and multi-year philanthropic revenue plans that draw from best practices in the modern media and fundraising landscape to increase membership to at least 110,000. Leads the development and execution of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies for existing and new mid and major donors, expanding the pool of Leadership Circle donors.
- Marketing and Engagement: Oversees development and implementation of comprehensive marketing and engagement strategies, with an emphasis on engagement, loyalty, and revenue, while also building increased awareness for the specific programs/personalities. Collaborates with executive team and members of the Branding and Engagement team to lead development of WAMU brand strategy.
- Fundraising: Champions digital channels as a critical and growing source of philanthropic revenue. Oversees all facets of WAMU’s individual giving and foundation funding programs and staff.
- Communication: Oversees development and implementation of WAMU communications strategy, including advertising campaigns and development of presentations collateral and marketing materials. Primary liaison to external organizations contracted to handle communications needs, including public relations, crisis communications, and advertisement strategy.
- This position manages approximately 4 direct reports and oversees an approximately 25-person team and our outsourced sponsorship team.
- Minimal travel required.
- Full Time, 35 hours/week.
- Division Leader C.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
- 10+ years of relevant experience.
- Master's degree or equivalent.
- Ten years of progressively responsible experience in a complex fundraising organization.
- A proven track record of successful fundraising with high net worth individuals. Demonstrated success closing major gifts.
- Experience working successfully with sophisticated, high-level civic, cultural, and corporate leaders in a major metropolitan area.
- Experience building and overseeing a strategic, multi-faceted development and membership program across platforms.
- Highly experienced in digital fundraising, with a forward-thinking, digitally savvy mindset.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate, analyze, monitor, evaluate, and advance strategic development plans.
- An outstanding manager with a demonstrated commitment to working with and motivating a diverse range of people.
- Proven ability to build and inspire a team, handling both strategic and day-to-day functions.
- Experience with major capital campaigns.
- Strong facilitator and coordinator skills with outstanding leadership abilities and interpersonal skills; must having credibility, good judgment, integrity, and trust and motivate others in a similar vein.
- Adept at planning, prioritizing, organizing, and following through.
- Experience with CRM software and technology best practices to support philanthropic fundraising.
- Excellent writing, verbal communication, and public speaking skills.
- Demonstrated negotiation and persuasion skills.
- A team player with a can-do approach who can skillfully coordinate fundraising activities with the General Manager, Senior Director of Content, AU advancement leader, and staff.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent, with advanced degree a plus, along with demonstrated effort of continuing education in the field of philanthropy.
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check.
- To ensure the health and safety of our community AU requires COVID-19 vaccinations for faculty and staff. Click here to learn more about our health and safety directive .
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
AU offers a competitive benefits package including a 200% matching retirement plan, tuition benefits for full-time staff and their families, several leadership development certificates, and has been recognized by the American Heart Association as a fit-friendly worksite.Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options .
Current American University Employees
If you are a current employee at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert